Zucchini, the tasty gourd is rich in Vitamin C, B6 and A, it has calcium and Iron. It is also a good source of dietary fibre.
Zucchini for babies and kids
- Wash and peel the skin of zucchini.
- Cut into small slices.
- Cook these in a medium flame. Basically you will be boiling water, adding the slices and little salt to it and wait till it is soft.
- Now add cumin seeds, parsley or cilantro leaves and puree in a blender.
Give this puree to your little one for building his/her immunity and for overall health.
For kids who are old enough to eat roasted food, you could make roasted zucchini for evening snack.
- In a baking tray, apply little butter
- But zucchini into flat disc shaped slices.
- Make a mix of finely chopped parlsley, garlic paste, jeera (cumin seeds) powder, pepper, olive oil (one teaspoon) and salt.
- Toss the zucchini slices in this mix.
- Place in the tray and bake in a pre-heated oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
You can check with a fork to see if tender.
Zucchini for diabetics
One of the key reasons for diabetics is the slow metabolism of the body. Zucchini addresses this by imporving metabolism of the body. In addition, zucchini is rich in vitamin B Complex and zinc which is also a favourable factor. And similar to certain other vegetables, pectin is also present in zucchini and regulates sugar levels.
How to use:
Make a soup of zucchini by following the below method.
- Wash and peel the gourd.
- Slice zucchini into cubes.
- In a pan, saute the zucchini cubes in little olive oil. Add spices as required along with salt and pepper. My favourties are oregano and italian seasoning.
- Allow it to cool down just for a bit.
- Puree in a blender.
You can have this soup thrice a week.
Zucchini for weight loss
One of the popular uses of Zucchini is in weight loss. Since zucchini is extremely low in calories, it is often used in various weight loss diet recipes. The fact that zucchini naturally tastes great due to the presence of a good amount of flavonoids makes it easier to cook without fat, cream or oil making it a healthier choice.
How to use:
A simple salad can be made.
- Cut one zucchini into disc shaped slices.
- Take just two drops of oil and smear on the pieces. (2 drops for all the pieces put together!)
- Bake these in a pre heated oven till well cooked. (You can alternatively also grill them on a barbeque grill)
- Add some pieces of avocadoes, tomatoes, lettuce, olives and enjoy your zucchini salad.
Another benefit for weight loss is that, since zucchini has lot of water content it keeps us hunger free for longer ddurations by appeasing our craving to eat in frequent intervals.
Zucchini for cardiac health
Vitamin C and manganese are important for cardiac health. These are found in abundance in zucchini. Also since many with cardiac diseases have higher cholesterol levels, zucchini with its low calorie component becomes a top choice. In addition to this, the magnesium in zucchini helps to avoid heart attacks and helps to regulate the blood pressure levels in the body.
How to use:
Make a salad with zucchini, include slices of zucchini in your everyday diet. Just make it a small part of your everyday meal.
Zucchini to reduce joint pain and arthritis
Just one cup of zucchini has enough zinc, potassium and vitamin C your body needs. These help to reduce inflammation is joints and helps to manage osteoarthritis to a good extent. Since zucchini is available in most countries all year around, this can be included in your everyday diet.
- Make a simple juice of zucchini and cucumber.
- Add mint leaves to this juice.
- You can also squeeze half a lemon to this and add little bit of palm sugar or honey.
Zucchini as a detox
Zucchini has lot of water that helps keep your body hydrated. It is a great addition for your summer diet and this keeps your skin cleaner and fresh too.
How to use:
Zucchini can be a great addition to your morning smoothie as a detox. It helps to flush out toxins and gives you clear skin. You can see clearer skin and more flawless skin in just a week. Carrot can be a good addition to this smoothie.