Dandruff is a disease that affects your scalp and causes flaky white particles on your scalp skin. Though it is not a serious issues, it causes irritation and hair issues. Dandruff causes hair loss and itchiness on the scalp. Dandruff falls on your facial and body skin, it causes acne/rashes. Dandruff is not contagious and can be cured effectively using over the counter lotions/shampoos, and natural ingredients.
When you use natural remedies, the result is mostly permanent and does not cause any side effects. This article explains different ways to treat dandruff naturally at home.
How to understand if you have dandruff?
You can easily diagnose dandruff on your scalp.
- Presence of white flaky particles on the scalp
- Itchiness on the scalp
- White flaky particles on the shoulder or back
What causes Dandruff?
- Seborrheic dermatitis – This condition is a major cause for dandruff which affects skin and creates red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales. Seborrheic dermatitis largely affects your scalp and other areas rich in oil glands, like eyebrows, the sides of your nose and the backs of your ears, breastbone (sternum), groin area, and sometimes your armpits.
- Malassezia – Malassezia is a yeast like fungal infection which affects the scalp, mostly in adults. This infection increases the growth of skin cells and causes itchiness. The extra skin cells dries and falls off. This dead skin cells look like white flaky particles on the shoulders and hair.
- Contact dermatitis – When the scalp is in contact with cosmetic products, it gets irritated and visible red patches with dry skin appear. It also leads to itchy scaly scalp.
- Hygiene isuues – When you don’t clean or shampoo your hair frequently, secreted oil and dead skin cells get accumulated on the scalp. This leads to dandruff.
- Dry skin – When the scalp gets very dry, it causes redness and flaky skin on the skin and other body parts too. This causes flaky skin to fall off from the scalp. Skin peeling might happen in other body parts. Though this is a rare cause for dandruff, some people might get affected.
Different methods to treat dandruff
Bay leaves to treat dandruff
Bay leaf or bay-laurel is a popular spice and used in many dishes for its aromatic fragrance. This commonly used culinary spice, is rich in compounds like a-pinene, ß-pinene, myrcene, limonene, linalool, methyl chavicol, neral, a-terpineol, geranyl acetate, eugenol, and chavicol. These compounds are found to have been anti-septic, anti-oxidant properties and aids digestion.
Follow the recipe instructions to treat dandruff using bay leaves.
Bay leaf extract can be used twice a week for good results.
Neem seeds to treat dandruff
Neem seeds have been used in natural remedies and Ayurveda practices since 4000 years. They are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial by nature. When consumed internally, neem seeds treat and cure digestive ailments. When applied externally, neem leaves and seeds are very effective in eliminating lice and nits from the scalp and hair.
Concoction of neem seeds can cure dandruff very effectively. Follow the recipe to prepare neem seeds to treat dandruff.
Use this once a week, continuously for 3 weeks.
Melia azedarach (Malai vembu) oil to cure dandruff
Malai vembu or melia azedarach, looks and tastes just like neem leaves. The appearance of malai vembu is little different than normal neem leaves. They are found in small mounts and mountain region. The bitterness of the leaves, fights dandruff very effectively. Just like neem leaves, malai vembu also eliminates head lice and nits.
This recipe explains how to prepare malai vembu oil
This oil can be applied on the scalp 15 minutes before hair wash. You can use this oil once a week, continuously for 3 weeks.
Lemon to treat dandruff
Lemon comes in very handy for many natural remedies. One such notable usage of lemon is to cure dandruff and dryness in skin. It reduces itchiness and inflammation caused by dandruff. The anti-fungal nature of lemon helps to reduce dandruff naturally. Lemon extract also helps in balancing the oiliness on the scalp.
This recipe explains how to use lemon to treat dandruff.
Lemon can be used twice a week to treat dandruff.
These home remedies are very effective and does not cause any side effects. In case of increase in dandruff, itchiness or redness in scalp, please seek a doctor’s advice immediately.