Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) known as Tiruneetrupachai in Tamil is a herb that grows in multiple climatic conditions. It is an aromatic plant that also finds its use in multiple cuisines for its flavour. The plants including leaves, stem, roots, flowers and seeds have medicinal properties and find their use in traditional Indian medicine. In this recipe, the use of sweet basil to cure respiratory disorders is the focus.
Health benefits of Sweet basil
The health benefits of Sweet Basil (Thiruneetrupachai) are many. We have just explained a few of their benefits in the points below.
- Sweet basil leaves can be chewed on to remove intestinal worms including tape worms.
- A concoction made using sweet basil leaves, pepper and ginger can help to reduce the symptoms of fever.
- The flowers can be used to cure indigestion. A decoction or concoction made using Sweet basil flowers can be consumed multiple times a day to cure indigestion and nausea.
- The leaves are an excellent remedy to treat cough. The leaves are more effective in the case of whooping cough. Since the leaves taste good, they can also be given to kids regularly.
- The extract of sweet basil leaves is dropped in the nostrils to cure respiratory disorders including whooping cough. This also helps to get rid of phlegm in the chest and brings it out.
- A paste made using sweet basil leaves and turmeric can be applied on ringworm affected areas to cure the infection.
- Leaves extract has also been beneficial in reducing the symptoms of constipation and regulating bowel movement.
It is good to include the leaves in soups, salads and any other recipe where they would add flavour. There are no side effects and is good to build immunity in children.
Here is the recipe to use Sweet basil for curing respiratory disorders in kids.
- 15-20 leaves Sweet Basil leaves Tiruneetrupachai in Tamil
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 300 ml Water
- Take fresh leaves of Sweet Basil, filtered water and organic honey for this remedy.
- Take the leaves in a mortar after washing them well.
- Add a teaspoon or two of water.
- Semi crush the leaves to get some of the extract.
- Transfer the crushed leaves and extract to a small jar. You can use glass or silver ware. Kindly avoid plastic.
- Pour hot water on the leaves.
- Close the jar and let the leaves steep for about an hour.
- Open the jar. The water would have come to room temperature by now. Add two teaspoons of honey and stir once.
- Done. Give this multiple times a day to your kid in small doses.