Dry mouth or medically known as xerostomia is caused by a shutdown of saliva production. Dehydration is the main cause for dry mouth. Dehydration occurs through fever, vomiting, diarrhea, burns and blood loss or excessive exercise. The other causes may be stress, anxiety, diabetes, kidney diseases, smoking or tobacco use, mouth breathing, acid reflux or taking any medications. Here you see the simple home remedy to treat dry mouth.
Take a cup of mint leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, small piece of ginger, palm sugar and water. Crush black pepper, cumin seeds and ginger in mortar. Add a cup of mint leaves to pan. Add the crushed ingredients and palm sugar. Boil in water for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain the water and the soup is done. Make and consume once daily to treat dry mouth.
Mint is one of the popular herbs that offers several health benefits. Mint is known for mouth and breath freshener. Many products in the market like tooth paste, breath fresheners, candy, chewing gum, and inhalers which have mint as the base element. Just chew a few mint leaves to eliminate bad breath, protect the mouth against infections and at the same time produce more saliva in the mouth. The aroma of the herb stimulates the salivary glands in the mouth thereby helping for good digestion.
Cumin seeds – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Cuminum cyminum
- English – Cumin seeds
- Hindi – Jeera
- Sanskrit – Jiraka
- Malayalam – Jeerakam
- Bengali – Jeera
- Tamil – Jeeragam
- Kannada – Jeerige
- Telugu – Jeelakari
Health benefits of Mint
Adding mint in daily diet offers amazing health benefits.
- Mint is a great palate cleanser, promotes digestion. Consuming mint drink when you suffer with indigestion or inflammation, it soothes the stomach and reduce inflammation.
- Fresh mint leaves are strong and refreshing, so the crushed mint leaves are very helpful in treating nausea and headache.
- Mint herb is very efficient in clearing up congestion of nose, lungs, throat, and bronchi. It also treat asthma and common cold.
- Mint oil helps to reduce the nipple cracks and pain for breastfeeding women.
- Mint juice is a good skin cleanser. It soothes skin infections and irritations. `
- Mint stimulates the digestive enzymes, and absorbs nutrients from foods. It also turns fat into usable energy thereby aids in weight loss process.
Here is the recipe.