Cracked heels are a very common problem which occurs due to lack of moisture, unhealthy diet, unfit shoes, improper foot care, overexposure to pollution, prolonged standing on hard floors and some medical conditions such as thyroid (1), diabetes, psoriasis, and eczema also may lead to cracked heels. During winter, the cracked heels become worsen due to cold temperature and dryness. Try this simple herbal remedy to treat cracked heels easily at home.
Take 3 to 4 pieces of alum and roast them in a thick bottomed pan. Slowly it will get melted and will start to foam. You can see the alum lumped together. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool. After it has cooled down, scrap and remove the powder. Take one teaspoon of coconut oil and add one teaspoon of alum powder. Mix the ingredients well and make it into a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off. Repeat twice a day until the cracks are completely gone. It is an age old method with no side effects, but if you find any discomfort, it could be because it doesn’t suit your skin. In that case, discontinue use.
Alum health benefits
· The anti-septic and antibacterial properties of alum makes it a wonderful natural deodorant (2). It is advised to use once in two days.
· A mixture of alum powder and rose water can be applied all over the body. This removes unwanted hair and stops further hair growth over time. This paste can also be applied to remove blackheads. You don’t have to rub it, daily application around the area of the blackheads (3) may help remove it slowly.
· Add one gram of alum powder to every litre of dirty water. All the dirt particles will settle down slowly and leaves clear water.
· Alum can be used to treat head lice. Take alum powder, water, tea tree oil, mix all the three ingredients well and apply on the scalp. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off.
· Alum is simple home remedy to treat minor wounds and cuts. The antiseptic property calms prickling and puffiness like bee stings.
· Add one teaspoon of alum powder to boiling water. Cool down and use it to wash the face. It lightens the skin as well as brightens it.
· To ease muscle cramps and inflammation, mix alum powder and turmeric. Apply this mixture on the affected tissues, this helps ease the tension of the cramp.
Coconut oil health benefits
Coconut oil offers innumerable benefits to skin, hair and body. Let’s see one by one.
Coconut oil massage
Coconut oil is an excellent massage oil and moisturiser for the skin. Take 2 to 3 teaspoons of coconut oil, heat the oil to warm condition. Cool down to bearable heat and apply it on whole body and massage gently. Leave the oil to stay for 20 minutes. Take bath with mild soap. Repeat once or twice a week to moisture the skin.
Treats dry skin
Coconut oil contains fatty acids, it helps hydrate the skin. It is considered as a miracle ingredient when it comes to treat dry skin. Applying coconut oil on cracked heels may provide the feet with deep moisture. To avoid dryness on hands and feet specially to treat cracked heels, apply coconut oil twice a day.
Coconut oil for weight loss
Consume two teaspoons of coconut oil mixed with hot water at least half an hour before regular meals. This helps the liver to produce ketone an organic compound which reduces appetite. Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids which burns excessive weight. Regular consumption of appropriate quantity of coconut oil enhances your weight loss efforts.
Ayurveda recommends coconut oil for oil pulling. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, thus helps clean the unwanted bacteria, toxins, and mucus form the mouth. Coconut oil enables the absorption of calcium this in turn strengthens teeth. Consuming coconut oil increases energy, reduces excess fat, balances the hormones, decreases hunger and finally helps the body to efficiently absorb the nutrients from the foods.
Coconut oil for wound healing
The antibacterial properties of coconut oil, protects the infected area from external dust, bacteria, viruses, fungi, and air. It speeds up the healing process of wounds and small cuts. To notice results, apply 0.5 ml to 1ml of coconut oil every day on the affected area continuously for 10 days.
Coconut oil is one of the preferred hair oil by many of them. In India, it has been used since ancient times for growing hair. Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids (4), vitamins and minerals which are good for human health. Applying a mixture of coconut oil and variety of herbs like curry leaves, sage leaves help prevent hair loss and promotes hair growth. Coconut oil has a cooling effect on the body and can be helpful to cool the body especially during summer. It helps retain moisture and works as a better hair conditioner. Also, this is one of the best herbal remedy for dandruff treatment.
Follow the below simple home remedy and to treat cracked heels.