Pomegranate flowers (Punica granatum flowers) are the bright orange flowers that bloom in pomegranate plants. These flowers have multiple health benefits and can give you a healthy heart. The drink made in this recipe uses dried pomegranate flowers, cardamom and turmeric to boost heart health.
Health benefits of pomegranate flowers:
- Helps to reduce symptoms of fatty liver and ameliorates the condition.
- Can treat diabetes effectively. It is seen to be effective for both Type I and Type II diabetes.
- Can diminish cardiac fibrosis in affected patients.
- The juice of pomegranate flowers can be applied externally to treat eye problems and to prevent eye related diseases.
- The flowers have therapeutic properties and has been used in Ayurveda for centuries to improve overall health.
- A face pack made from the flowers can have excellent toning properties and can purify skin. It is suitable for all skin types as well.
Our findings suggest that PGF extract improves abnormal cardiac lipid metabolism in ZDF rats by activating PPAR-α and thereby lowering circulating lipid and inhibiting its cardiac uptake.
British Journal of Pharmacology (2005) 145, 767–774. doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0706245
Punica granatum flower (Pomegranate flower) extract reduced the up-regulated cardiac mRNA expression of ET-1, ETA, inhibitor-κBβ and c-jun, and normalized the down-regulated mRNA expression of inhibitor-κBα in Zucker diabetic fatty rats.
Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology: December 2005 – Volume 46 – Issue 6 – pp 856-862
Pomegranate flowers can also be made into a tea and consumed for overall health. However, this recipe is more useful for heart health or to treat diabetes.
Note: This drink tastes bitter and you can add a little honey if you don’t like the bitter taste. But if you are diabetic, consume the drink as it is since this pomegranate drink can also reduce diabetes.
Here is the recipe.