Karingali powder that is also known as Dasashamani powder is basically a herbal powder obtained from the Karingali plant (Cutch tree). Karingali powder is made from the bark of the tree and has therapeutic benefits. This powder is mixed in water to purify it as well as to enrich its qualities. This is also known as karingali vellam by traditional practitioners and is advocated by Ayurveda for overall health and well-being.
The botanical name of Karingali is Acacia catech and is a small tree. The bark of the tree and its heartwood is used for multiple medicinal purposes in India.
Due to its health benefits, Karingali is gaining popularity across the globe. It imparts a mild pinking brown colour to water and the taste is very mild too.
Health benefits of Karingali:
- Treats nausea, vomiting and motion sickness.
- Helps to cure oral ulcers and stomach ulcer (peptic ulcer) due to its cooling, soothing properties.
- Can improve digestion, cure indigestion and act as a natural appetizer.
- Is effective in fighting various forms of allergies and can reduce allergic reactions with regular consumption.
- Has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Studies show that karingali powder also has anti-diarrhoeal and anti-mycotic properties. It also helps to build immunity due to the presence of anti-oxidants in it. (Source: THE PHYTOCHEMICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF A MIRACLE HERB ACACIA CATECHU (L.F.) WILLD.: A REVIEW by Rohit Kumar Khatik, Anita Sharma)
- Promotes good sleep by reducing stress levels and acting as an anti-depressant.
- Can elevate mood levels and make one feel good.
- Improves blood circulation and lowers cholesterol levels.
When karingali powder is mixed with hot (boiling hot) water, it can enrich the water with all its goodness. This water can be consumed by people across all ages. Kids of age 2+ can also consume karingali water safely.