Karisalankanni or Bhringraj (Scientific name is Eclipta alba) is a herb that grows like weed in lush areas, doesn’t require much maintenance and is typically found in tropical climatic conditions. It has a mild scent and is very popular for the benefits it offers for hair growth and overall hair care. The plant also finds its use in maintaining the health of the liver and acts as a liver cleanse.
Health benefits of Bhringraj leaves:
- Cleanses the liver, flushes out toxins and helps in preventing enlargement of the liver due to toxic substances accumulation.
- When consumed internally along with a teaspoon of castor oil, it can help to get rid of intestinal worms. This remedy can be used for children (above the age of 8 years) as well as adults.
- A concoction made using bhringraj leaves can be consumed to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- In order to cure respiratory disorders in children, you can make a juice of Bhringraj leaves and mix honey. This can be given to children in small (30 ml) doses thrice a day.
- The extract of Bhringraj can help to cure jaundice. These leaves can be ground along with Keezhanelli (Stonebreaker leaves and a concoction can be made. This is extremely effective in curing Jaundice.
- A paste made using Karisalankanni leaves can cure skin problems such as ringworm, psoriasis and eczema.
- A thick paste of the leaves can be placed on insect and scorpion bites. This will help to address the pain immediately and act as an effective medicine.
Below is the recipe for making a concoction with Bhringraj leaves. Regular consumption of this for a week will help to cleanse the liver and flush out toxins. You can make it a habit to drink this once or twice a week regularly for life to have a healthy liver.