What is pasta?
Pasta is made of refined wheat flour and it comes in different shapes and sizes. Pasta is a traditional Italian food and it has gained popularity all over the world few decades back. It is very easy to cook and goes along with vegetables and salads.
It can be combined with vegetables, fruits, boiled potatoes, cereals, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds and cheese. Since pasta is made of whole grain, there is no fat in it unless you add cheese and oil. Pasta also tastes good when combined with fish and meat.
There are many names (more than 600) for pasta based on their shapes and thickness.
- Penne rigate
- Elbow Macroni
- Angel hair
These are some of the commonly used pastas.
Health benefits of Pasta
Low Glycemic index
Pasta when combined with nutritious vegetables and fruits, it becomes a low glycemic food. Food that are low in glycemic index are good for your digestive system and helps your body to absorb more nutrition. It also keeps your tummy full for a longer time.
Good for diabetic people
Whole grain foods are always very good for diabetic patients. Pasta is very good for people who wish you eat good food and also not disturb the sugar levels. When combined with healthy vegetables and fruits, it can be a great way to increase nutrition in one’s body.
Since pasta is made of whole grains, it gives good amount of carbohydrates and calories. It also contains good amount of dietary fiber and it helps to reduce food cravings. Eating pasta for a meal, can make you feel full for a longer time and provide all necessary nutrients. It also helps in effective weight management.
Contains essential minerals
Enriched or fortified pasta contains Selenium and Manganese that are important for our body. Selenium helps in activating the anti-oxidant enzymes and protects our cellular structures. It also helps the cells from damage. Manganese is a mineral that is important to regularize sugar levels in our body. Deficiency in blood sugar levels lead to fluctuation of sugar levels. Manganese also regulates metabolism of carbohydrates.
The whole grain pastas are cholesterol free and delicious. Though they contain good amount of calories, it does not add up to the cholesterol levels. This property can help people who are looking to reduce weight and cholesterol levels. The complex and low glycemic index nature of pasta, reduces food cravings. Thus, it helps us avoid junk food.
Which type of pasta is good?
There are different varieties of pasta. Both white pasta and brown pasta are not harmful for health. But eating whole grain pasta is even healthier. When you have to purchase pasta from stores, you can opt for the ones that has mentioned “Drum wheat” or “100% whole grain” in the package.
Simple Pasta Recipe
Garlic tomato pasta
- Penne pasta – 1 cup (uncooked)
- Cherry tomato – ½ cup (cut in halves)
- Olive oil – ½ cup
- Small onion (shallot) – 3
- Garlic – 4 cloves (diced)
- Salt and black pepper as required
- All-purpose flour – 2 spoons (to thicken)
- Almond breeze – 1 cup (unsweetened)
To cook pasta
- Take water and pasta in 3:1 ratio.
- Boil the water and add 2 spoons of oil (any oil). Add oil so that pasta will not sick to each other.
- Boil until the pasta becomes soft.
- Drain the water and put the boiled pasta in cold water.
- Keep it aside.
To cook the sauce
- Heat a pan.
- Pour required amount of olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic and shallot in the oil.
- Fry the onion and garlic until brown.
- Now add chopped tomato and add salt/ pepper.
- Cook until the tomatoes become soft.
- Mix the flour in water and add it in the pan.
- Stir well to form a thick paste.
- Now add required amount of almond milk and stir continuously.
Final stage – Pasta
- Drain the water from cooked pasta.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir well.
- Simmer the flame and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Add your favorite spice, basil leaves and cheese to add more taste.
Along with this, you can add plainly cooked chicken or fish of your choice. Add necessary pepper and salt to it.
This pasta can be refrigerated for 2 days and consumed. It will taste good when cooked in oven.