In medical terms, bad breath called as “Halitosis” which means bad breath while breathing out. The bacteria present in gums, mouth and tongue is found to cause bad breath. The more unpleasant and uncomfortable thing in a social situation is talking to someone with bad breath. Bad breath decreases self confidence and is a sign of poor health condition resulting in other health problems such as gum diseases, dry mouth, pneumonia, sinus infection, diabetes, postnasal drip, acid reflux, liver or kidney problems.
Causes of bad breath:
- Not brushing or flossing teeth properly
- Food particles in the mouth
- Promoting bacterial growth between teeth, gums and tongue
- Nose and throat infection
- Stress/ depression
- Eating food with strong odor
- Not cleaning false teeth
Symptoms of bad breath
- Infection in the mouth
- Dry mouth
- Red swollen gums
- Stains on teeth and inside mouth
- Plaque on teeth
- Sore throat, stuffy nose
- Greenish or yellowish nasal discharge
Bad breath can be easily cured using homemade natural remedies and here are some of the remedies for you.
Home remedies for bad breath
Dehydration is one of the main reasons for bad breath. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps our body to produce enough bacteria fighting saliva. Water is a must to keep your mouth moist. After having food or snack floss your mouth with water. Water contains 100% oxygen and bacteria forms only in low oxygen environment due to which drinking more water helps in decrease the level of bacteria formation.
Usage of lime leaves keeps our teeth and gums healthy.
Lime leaf stimulates the production of saliva in our mouth. In turn the saliva helps to dissolve any food particles lodged in the mouth. The leaves can also be rubbed on teeth and gums for total dental health and to avoid bad breath.
- Neem leaves
- Turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 cloves
- Take a handful of neem leaves, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 2 to 3 cloves.
- Boil these in water for sometime.
- Filter the water and rinse your mouth to maintain oral cleanliness. This remedy prevents bad breath.
Mint has the highest antioxidant capacity and it is a natural anti-microbial agent. Just take a few mint leaves and chew slowly. The juice of mint mixed with saliva kills all bacteria in the mouth, beats bad breath and leaves the tongue and teeth clean and fresh.
That is why they are so great for your oral health.
- Boil a cup of water in a small vessel.
- Add a handful of fenugreek seeds to the boiling water and allow it to boil for around 10 minutes.
- Switch off.
- Strain the water and leave it to get cool.
- Drink this filtered water early in the morning.
This fenugreek tea prevents bad breath. If bad breath is caused by catarrahal infection, then use fenugreek tea to get away from that.
- Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Mix the lemon juice in water.
- Stir well and add a little salt.
- Rinse your mouth with it.
Lemon has the power to relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The strong pleasant smell of lemon acts as a mask for bad odor. Lemon mouth wash helps solving the problem of dry mouth and stimulates the production of saliva.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add one teaspoon of ground cloves.
- Boil in a reduced flame for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink as a tea or use it as a mouth wash.
Cloves have antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that are helpful in getting rid of from bad breath. The easiest method is to chew pieces of cloves after eating foods to eliminate bad breath.
Cinnamon plays a significant role in washing out all bacteria without damaging your gums and teeth. That is why cinnamon oil also been used in chewing gums, mouth washes, tooth paste and in breath mints.
- Boil a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in water.
- Filter the water and use it as a mouth wash to refresh your mouth.
“Dental scientists in Chicago have shown that an essential oil from this spice can kill oral bacteria, including germs responsible for a chemical that imparts the rotten-egg smell to the breath”.
Tea contains powerful anti-oxidants that helps in flushing out all toxins present in the mouth and tongue.
Tea has abundant micro-nutrients that fight the bacteria that create bad breath.
A study conducted on “Effect of green tea on volatile sulfur compounds in mouth air” by J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2008 Feb;54(1):89-94 found that green tea was very effective in reducing oral mal odor temporarily because of its disinfectant and deodorant activities, whereas other foods were not effective.
Apple cider vinegar
It cures many diseases and one among them is bad breath.
- Take 2 teaspoons of apple cider and mix with water.
- Gargle with it for 10 to 15 seconds.
It cleans your mouth and tongue and helps in washing out all the bacteria.
Taking a tablespoon of vinegar mixed with water prior to eating meal helps our digestive system run smoothly.
Crunchy fruit and Vegetables
Crunchy fruits and vegetables like carrot, apple, guava, orange, celery, cranberries, walnuts, and cucumber – all these are rich in vitamins and minerals.
It clean your teeth and gums.
Just like a tooth brush, these fruits and vegetables scrape off plaque and food particles in your mouth. Chewing these vegetables and fruits generates saliva that protects from bacteria formation. Regular usage of these crunchy foods protects our teeth from damage.
To treat halitosis, avocado is one of the best home remedies. Eating avocado during your meal or a juice once a day can be used to get rid of bad breath. It kills bacteria present in stomach.
Regular brushing your teeth, flossing after meals, drinking more water all these help to prevent bad breath.