Hiccups are a sudden automatic contraction of your diaphragm. Diaphragm is a muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. Once the diaphragm contracts, the top of your breathe pipe closes immediately that make the hic sound. Hiccups are common in both men, women as well as in children. But there are various natural remedies to stop hiccups that can help you get out of this discomfort easily.
- Overeating or drinking too much
- Abdominal surgery
- Drinking carbonated beverages or alcoholic beverages
- Eating spicy foods or eating too quickly
- Swallowing air while eating or chewing
- Excitement or emotional stress
- Sudden change in the room temperature
Most of the people get hiccups without any reason, which lasts for a short duration and stops automatically.
Here are some of the home remedies to stop hiccups
Hold your breath
Holding your breath is a traditional method of stopping hiccups. While holding your breath it increases the carbon dioxide in your blood stream which will distract our mind and stops hiccup.
Drinking while holding breath
Another simple method is drinking water while holding breath.
- Take a deep breath and hold it for minimum of 10 seconds.
- Make sure not breathing in and out in between.
- Drink a glass of water while you hold your breathe.
- If you cannot hold any longer, breathe out and in, hold your breathe.
- Wait for 30 seconds and check if hiccups have stopped.
If It comes again, repeat the process.
Breathing into a bag
- Take a clean paper bag.
- Take the deep breathe and fill up your lungs with air.
- Close your mouth and hold your breathe.
- Now, breathe out into the bag.
- Breathe in from the air already in the bag (the bag will crumple and becomes empty)
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Breathe out, the bag will blow up again.
- Wait for 30 seconds and see if another hiccup comes.
- If it comes repeat the process immediately
Drinking a glass of cold water is another simple method to get rid of hiccups.
- Drink a glass of cold water with honey or sugar to get immediate relief.
- You can try gargling with cold water for a minute.
- Suck a small piece of ice cube for few seconds.
Sugar is a great remedy, especially for children. Children cannot exercise the above methods effectively. So for children, you can try this simple remedy to stop their hiccup.
- Take a spoon of white or brown sugar.
- Hold the spoon with sugar inside the child’s mouth for 5 seconds.
- Leave the sugar to dissolve slowly.
Adults can also try this method to stop hiccups.
As a word of caution, people who are diabetic should avoid trying this method.
Peanut butter/Almond butter
One of the old methods to keep hiccups at bay is peanut butter. Eating peanut butter can stop your hiccups because of its gooey and sticky consistency.
- Put a spoon of peanut or almond butter into your mouth.
- Keep it for few seconds, and then swallow it without chewing.
- Drink a glass of water if needed.
Swallow ½ spoon vinegar after drinking a glass of water. It activates the nerves in your throat and mouth that are responsible for continuous hiccups. You can also mix a spoon of vinegar in a glass of water. Swallow the mixed water slowly to stop hiccups.
Another easy homemade remedy to stop hiccup is honey. When you have continuous hiccups, try swallowing a spoon of honey. This fills up your mouth with a sweet flavour and may hinder the irritated nerve.
Hiccups are an involuntary action and any counter action may stop them instantly. Take undiluted lemon juice and drink. The abnormal sourness of lemon is too overwhelming for your mouth and if you swallow, that will trick the nerves into shifting its annoyance from hiccups to sourness taste. This will stop the hiccups.
Green cardamom water is another effective method to stop hiccups.
- Take 5 or 6 fresh cardamom.
- Boil it in a glass of water.
- Strain the water and allow it to become warm.
- Drink this water to stop hiccups.
Like lemon, yogurt also has sour taste. When you drink yogurt (curd) your face will tighten, that will constrict your nerves too. This reaction might stop hiccups.
- Take a cup of yoghurt.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Consume it for immediate relief.
Hiccups are natural and in most of the cases it does not even require any home remedies, it will stop automatically in few minutes. If it continues for more than an hour, consult your doctor immediately.