Turmeric is basically from the ginger family and is native to southwest India. It has been used in siddha medicine for thousand years now. Research shows that turmeric extract contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. It has the ability to cure many diseases such as kidney problems, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, arthritis, irritable bowel disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, skin diseases and all other human related diseases.
Two most commonly used turmeric types are Madras turmeric and Alleppey turmeric. Both these types are widely used in skincare products and for spiritual purposes.
Let us see the internal and external uses of turmeric:
Remedy for cold and cough
Cold is always accompanied with cough. Turmeric is a great remedy to beat the discomfort because of throat infection.
Milk and turmeric
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Honey for taste
- Boil milk.
- Add turmeric powder to the glass of hot milk.
- Add honey and drink immediately with hot.
- Honey gives taste and fights against bacteria.
Turmeric and honey
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Lemon extract
- Take 3 to 4 cups of water.
- Add turmeric powder and boil the water.
- Once boiled, allow it stand for 10 minutes and filter the water.
- Add honey, lemon and tulasi for fast relief.
Turmeric tea is ready to drink.
Ghee and turmeric remedy
Ghee mixed with turmeric powder also gives good relief from cough.
Liver is one of the most vital and is the largest internal organ in the human body. It has many functions such as production of proteins, triglycerides and cholesterol, glycogen synthesis, and bile production.
Obesity and diabetes are the two major threats for developing fatty liver and other liver diseases such as cancers, hepatitis, cirrhosis, damage by medications and toxins.
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for all these liver diseases.
“A new study is showing that the polyphenols in turmeric may be helpful for reducing the risk of fatty liver while decreasing stress at the cellular level. This study is just one of the recent examples in literature showing a strong benefit of turmeric for liver health”.
Eliminate parasitic worms
Parasitic worms may create numerous health problems like abdominal pain, headache, weak immune system, weak thyroid function and even death.
- Turmeric is the best remedy for killing parasites and intestinal worms.
- Consuming milk or water mixed with turmeric powder or turmeric juice can kill worms and in addition, suppresses further growth of worms.
- In Ayurveda, turmeric is recommended for severe digestion problems and congestion.
- Liver plays an important role in the process of digestion and ensures release of post digestive nutrients into the system.
- Production of bile and detoxification of wastage, are both important roles of the liver.
- Turmeric also stimulates bile production and improves the ability to digest fats.
“The German Commission E (the equivalent of the US Food and Drug Administration), which evaluates products used in tradition and alternative medicine, has approved the use of turmeric for digestive problems”.
Many studies have proved that turmeric slows down the blood sugar levels and prevents its onset.
“Thai study published in the journal Diabetes Care where the researchers found that people with prediabetes who took capsules containing curcumin were less likely to go on to develop type 2 diabetes compared with people who didn’t take the curcumin capsules. The reason, says Drew Tortoriello, an endocrinologist and research scientist at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center at Columbia University Medical Center, is that turmeric lessens insulin resistance and prevents type 2 diabetes”.
Curcumin the primary compound present in turmeric.
Heart attack and stroke is caused by atherosclerotic plaque build up or high cholesterol levels. Plaques build up leads to blood clot and if it travels to brain or heart, leads to heart attack or stroke.
“Studies have found that turmeric could reduce the adhesive abilities of blood platelets, thereby preventing them from forming clots”.
Turmeric also relaxes blood vessels and minimizes further heart damage after suffering from a heart attack.
“A phase I clinical trial looked at giving curcumin to 25 patients with precancerous changes in different organs. This study seemed to show that curcumin could stop the precancerous changes becoming cancer.
Research has also shown that there are low rates of certain types of cancer in countries where people eat curcumin at levels of about 100 to 200 mg a day over long periods of time”.
As already discussed curcumin is an active ingredient contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties that kills tumor cells.
Infection and wounds
Turmeric is a good antibiotic medicine for external wounds and cuts.
- Turmeric powder
- Aloe vera gel
- Take turmeric powder and mix it with aloe vera gel.
- Apply it on the burnt area.
- This cures the wounds and prevent from any bacterial infections.
Turmeric is used in Ayurveda as an anti-inflammatory and anti arthritis remedy. Curcumin can reduce the inflammation and help to ease joint pains caused by arthritis.
The antibacterial properties of turmeric act as skin care medicine. If turmeric is mixed with honey it gives better results and helps to cure various skin problems.
A simple face mask –
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and turmeric together.
- Apply it on your face and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Gently wipe off with your fingertips and wash your face with lukewarm water.
This ayurvedic beauty mask is best for dry skin.
- Mix two teaspoons of curd, turmeric and gram flour.
- Make a fine paste and apply it on the face and neck daily for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
This makes your skin supple and smooth. It furthermore works well to remove sun tan.
Turmeric also gives you a number of other benefits,
- Treats allergies, dermatitis, eczema
- Good for eye related disease
- Cures headache
- Helps women in menstrual cramping
- Boosts immunity
- Promotes healthy weight loss
- Treats sprain and swelling