Lemon balm leaves find their use in traditional Greek medicine. Lemon balm is consumed as a tea for its flavour and for its health benefits.
Health benefits of Lemon balm tea
- Lemon balm leaves have sedative and analgesic properties due to which they can improve quality of sleep.
- When consumed as a sleepy time tea, it can help to cure insomnia.
- Lemon balm has anti-oxidants, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and can hence build immunity.
- It can speed up healing and help in healing wounds and scars.
- It relaxes muscles and helps to de-stress.
- Helps to reduce depression and anxiety and soothes the mind.
- It can soothe the throat during common cold, cough and congestion. It can reduce the severity of cough.
- Lemon balm leaves can improve memory, concentration and nerves health.
- They can rejuvenate the mind and act as a stimulant for engaging in longer periods of intellectual activity.
- Regulates heart function and improves circulation of blood in the body.
- Can alleviate pain due to menstruation and provide relief from menstrual cramps.
- They can protect against viruses that cause cold sores and herpes.
- Can help to treat hyperthyroidism in both men and women.
- Lemon balm leaves can reduce blood pressure levels.
- Can be used as a mood enhancer.
The plant grows in various climactic conditions and can hence be a part of your kitchen garden. It is also easy to propagate lemon balm plant as it is quite a hardy plant and requires little care.
You can include lemon balm leaves in salads, soups and as a garnish in your everyday food and recipes.
While lemon balm tea can be made using dried leaves of lemon balm, the fresh leaves taste so much more delicious and is aromatic too.
Read the recipe here on how to make lemon balm tea at home.
- 250 ml Water
- 10 Leaves Lemon Balm
- 2 pieces Cloves
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- Use fresh Lemon Balm leaves, cloves, Honey and water to make the tea.
- Place fresh lemon balm leaves in a tea pot infuser.
- Place cloves in a mortar.
- Crush the cloves with a pestle.
- Add cloves and honey to the leaves.
- Pour boiling hot water over the leaves.
- Allow the leaves to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the infuser.
- Pour the tea into a cup.
- Enjoy the herbal tea! This is one of the best herbal teas ever!!