One of the three herbs that are considered precious in Siddha medicine is Thippili or Long pepper. There are two types of long pepper and the one used in this remedy is known as Arisi Thippili – when dried, it is black in colour and has small granules on it. The fresh herb has been used for this remedy, but the dried one is equally effective. Long pepper is excellent to cure respiratory disorders and especially remove chest phlegm because it is a broncho-dilator and can help to slowly loosen the mucus present in the chest and then flushes it out via stools or in the form of vomit.
You can also add long pepper to rasam or soup to make it a part of your regular diet.
- 2-3 Betel leaves
- 4-5 Long pepper
- 300 ml Water
- To make the drink use betel leaves, long pepper and water.
- Take 2 to 3 betel leaves and chop them. Place chopped betel leaves and long peppers on a grinding stone. Grind well.
- Take the paste and place in a vessel.
- Add 300 ml of water and boil till the water becomes half.
- Allow the drink to become warm and then strain. Strain it well to get a thick extract.
- Drink is done.
DosageConsume the drink once daily to remove the chest phlegm.
Long pepper – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Piper longum
- English – Long pepper
- Hindi – Pipli
- Sanskrit – pippali
- Malayalam – Tippali
- Bengali – Pipal
- Tamil – Thippili
- Kannada – Hippali
- Telugu – Pippallu
Benefits of long pepper are as follows:
- Can cure indigestion, bloating and gastric problem and can reduce symptoms of nausea.
- Strengthens the body naturally and makes it more immune to diseases. It also provides nourishment to the body – especially the respiratory system. It can cure cough and sore throat very well. Pepper can also be used along with long pepper to treat these.
- Improves metabolism and increases appetite in kids as well as adults. You can make a concoction with long pepper and give one teaspoon to toddlers (2 – 4 year old) to make them eat better. Due to its property that can increase metabolism, it can be beneficial to aid weight loss.
- A soup of long pepper can be beneficial to alleviate the symptoms of fever due to common cold or flu.
Many modern day medicines arrest cough by thickening the mucus while long pepper addresses the root cause of the problem.