Constipation is a common digestive condition that is caused due to lack of fibre and other nutrients, lack of exercises, stress, medication and laxative abuse etc. Indian spinach is one of the effective natural remedies to prevent constipation.
It is filled with fibre, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B-6, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron and protein. The fibre content makes the intestine to digest food easily and add bulk to stools to prevent constipation.
This green leafy vegetable not only regularizes the bowel movements, but also relieves the symptoms of constipation like diabetes, cools body and prevents loss of appetite, increases metabolism for a quick and breakdown of food.
- Two handful Indian spinach (Pasalai keerai)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmerci powder
- 1 medium Onion
- 50 gram Toor dal
- 250 ml Water
- For this recipe, use Indian spinach (Pasalai keerai), red chilli powder, trumeric powder, salt, onion, toor dal and water.
- Take one medium size onion and chop it.
- Clean the green leafy vegetable and chop them.
- Cook toor dal seperately in pressure cooker.
- Add 250 ml water to pan.
- Add one teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder,
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add chopped onions.
- Boil the ingredients for few minutes.
- Now add chopped Indian spinach to pan.
- Add cooked toor dal. Keep in medium flame for five minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and consume.
Indian spinach has amazing health benefits.
Health benefits of Indian Spinach
This leafy vegetable contains good amount of fat soluble dietary fibre. Thus helps in digestion and prevents constipation. As it has low calorie and fat it aids in weight reduction.
Indian spinach is rich in flavonoids a phytonutrient with anti-cancer properties. It has proven to be effective in providing shelter against the development of aggressive prostate cancer.
Spinach contains antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants protects eye from cataracts and age related macular degeneration. This vegetable also contains vitamin A which is essential for healthy mucus membranes and normal eyesight.
It has vitamin K and protein which is essential for maintaining bone health. Vitamin K promotes synthesis of osteocalcin, and protein helps maintain the strength and density of bones.
As it is rich in vitamin C the regular consumption of this green leafy vegetable lowers hypertension or blood pressure which is responsible for causing kidney disease, heart disease and stroke.
Spinach prevents anemia as it is an excellent source of iron. This mineral is particularly essential for growing children, adolescence and menstruating women. Iron helps carry oxygen to the hair follicles which is essential for hair growth and strong strands.
Spinach loaded with many nutrients which helps clear acne, destroys free radicals, repairs skin cells, improves complexion, protects skin from harmful ultra violet rays.
Try this simple home remedy to prevent constipation.