Mosquitoes and insects can be a big trouble when you have many plants or water bodies around your house. Though mosquitoes are small in size, they are quite dangerous. Malaria, dengue, chikungunya, zika and many more life threatening viruses are spread by mosquitoes, just from a single bite from it. It is scary and its very important to protect us from such deadly viruses. Though there is electric-plug mosquito repellent , lotions, stickers, watches and rollon’s, easy way to keep mosquitoes away is to just grow a plant in your house! Yes, Nochi or nocchi or Chinese chestetree, is plant that has many medicinal benefits in it and also keeps your home free from mosquitoes and insects.
Medicinal benefits of Nocchi plant:
- Anti-inflammatory property in it helps to reduce swelling and pain in joints caused by arthritis
- Anti-bacterial property helps to flush out worms (in adults) when consumed internally
- Treats head ache and sinusitus
- Nourishes the body
- Relaxes strained muscles
- Treats rheumatism
- Treats glandular swelling and general body pain
Essential oil extracted from nochi plant leaves can be applied externally to treat swelling, internal inflammation or pain and headache. Crushed leaves can be used as poultice to treat swelling and joint pain.
Now lets see how it works as a mosquito repellent. Plants like nocchi, give out subtle smell or fragrance from it, which repel mosquitoes and insects. Mosquitoes are attracted towards warmth of the body, sweat and dark area (where there is no light). When this plant is grown in and around the house, mosquitoes stay away naturally. Since it is a plant and all natural, it is DEET (diethyltoluamide) free.
If is is not compatible to grow a plant in your house, just follow the DIY instructions which explains how to use dried nocchi leaves to keep mosquitoes away from you and your family!
- Nocchi leaves (chinese chastetree)
- To use nocchi leaves as a mosquito repellent, you need a bunch of fresh nocchi leaves.
- First clean the leaves and place it in direct sunlight.
- Let it dry completely.
- Once dried, just burn the dried leaves when you need a mosquito repellent.
- Dried leaves can be stored for many months.
- Make sure the leaves are dry while you store.
- Just burn the leaves as and when required.