Motion sickness or travel sickness is a common condition affects both children and adults. The common symptoms of motion sickness include loss of appetite, dizziness(1), pale skin, vomiting and increase production of saliva. Here is the simple home remedy to treat motion sickness.
Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds, small piece ginger and 15 to 20 mint leaves. Add all the ingredients to mortar and crush well. Take 250 ml water in a pan. Add the crushed ingredients to water. Boil the ingredients in water for 5 to 7 minutes in medium flame. Switch off the flame and strain the drink. Consume this drink an hour before the journey to avoid motion sickness. If you want, you can take the drink along with you in a flask.
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Small piece Ginger
- 15 to 20 Fresh Mint leaves
- 250 ml Water
- To make the drink use fennel seeds, ginger, mint leaves and water.
- Add one teaspoon of fennel seeds to mortar.
- Take small piece of ginger, peel the skin and add to mortar.
- Add 10 to 15 mint leaves.
- Crush well.
- Place 250 ml water in a pan.
- Add crushed ingredients to water.
- Boil the ingredients in water for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Strain the drink.
- Drink is done.
How does this herbal drink treat motion sickness?
Fennel is generally used as a natural remedy to treat upset stomach. This is also useful in treating motion sickness. Fennel seed has been used in Ayurveda to treat wide variety of diseases. Chewing raw fennel seeds are also useful in preventing the feeling of nausea and motion sickness.
Ginger is considered great to treat troubled tummies and motion sickness. It is completely safe and no side effects. Ginger contains gingerols and shogoals that help reduce nausea by stopping the chemoreceptor(2) trigger zone that initiates vomiting. Ginger reduce the damage caused by free radicals and eliminates the products produced in the oxidative processes in the intestine, which is the main cause for nausea, vomiting and other symptoms of motion sickness.
Mint leaves, another kitchen ingredient helps to stop vomiting and motion sickness. The fresh fragrance and the flavor acts as a natural calming agent.
Fennel seed health benefits
Fennel seeds are quite useful in treating various illnesses. It contains powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients. It also has vitamins and minerals such as copper, zinc, calcium, potassium, manganese, iron, selenium, magnesium and vitamin C.
Fennel tea is considered good for treating digestive ailments such as heartburn, bloating, intestinal gas, indigestion, constipation and even colic in infants. Fennel seed oil can help kick start digestion process by producing gastric enzymes. The seeds have antispasmodic and carminative in nature, thus treats serious digestive ailments like irritable bowel syndrome.
Fights bad breath
Chewing raw fennel seeds can freshen the breath. Chewing 10 to 15 seeds increases saliva production, thereby eliminates bacteria and germs.
Regulates blood pressure
The raw seed contains anethole, estragole, fenchone, all these compounds contribute to the plant’s antispasmodic(3) and anti-inflammatory properties. Anethole an important compound, which helps control blood pressure and flush out the excess water from the body. The seeds are also rich in calcium and potassium, these minerals keep the blood vessels toned and helps maintain heart rate.
Promotes weight loss
As it is rich in fibre, fennel seeds can promote weight loss. Consuming fennel tea could suppress appetite and keeps hunger pangs at bay. Fennel seeds also have diuretic properties, thus increase urine output and flush out excess fluid from the body.
Ginger health benefits
- Ginger holds anti-inflammatory and antioxidants compounds like beta-carotene, curcumin, capsaicin, pantothenic acid, caffeic acid, and salicylate in it. The various health benefits of ginger root are given below.
- Ginger has been used in Ayurveda since ancient times to treat motion sickness or sea sickness. Ginger tea relieves the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
- Drink a glass of ginger tea to fight infections and illnesses like cold and flu. This tea acts as a diaphoretic and creates sweating, this in turn removes toxins from the body and keeps you healthy as before.
- Ginger is a very strong carminative, since it helps in excess gas elimination.
- Consuming two grams of ginger, continuously for 11 days, reduces muscle pain gradually.
- Ginger extract contains gingerol, the major active component which can help increase uptake of glucose into muscle cells without using insulin, thereby it assists in the management of high blood sugar levels.
- Delayed emptying of the stomach is major cause for indigestion. Take 1.2 grams ginger powder before a meal, this helps speed up the digestion process.
Mint leaves health benefits
- Mint leaves are a good source of protein, folate, calcium, potassium, sodium, copper, iron, dietary fibre, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin C, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, magnesium, manganese and zinc.
- The leaves of mint have anesthetic and anti-inflammatory qualities that can effectively treat motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headache.
- Chewing raw mint leaves is helpful in lightening the pain caused by toothaches. Mint has anti-septic properties and holds anti-microbial compound called chlorhexidine(4) which prevents bacteria that cause bad breath and tooth decay. Many of the oral care products use to add mint leaves as one of their primary ingredients.
- Mint leaves have simethicone an anti-gas agent which calms the baby and prevents from continuous crying for hours.