Before diving into the topic of how to treat dandruff with lemon, let us understand dandruff – the big monster. Or should I say the tiny monster?!
Dandruff is basically little white pieces of dead skin that appears on the scalp. Yeah, that is something we all know. I am sure no one is a stranger to dandruff! One might face one of the two types of dandruff – Dry dandruff and Oily dandruff. Although dandruff is a common skin disease of the scalp, it may also be found in face, eyes, ears, neck and in front of the chest. It is necessary that one should pay attention towards this issue and treat dandruff for get rid of it.
- Itching on the head / scalp,
- White flakes in the hair, and on your shoulders (no, it is not snowing!)
- Occasional headaches
- Rashes on the scalp.
Except for sever cases, dandruff can be treated well with home remedies.
Causes of Dandruff
- Heavy usage of hair colours and hair products, stress, and in some cases naturally dry skin could also be a cause for dandruff.
- Drinking cold water for prolonged periods of time
- Extreme exposure to sunlight and dust
- Dryness of scalp due to non-application of oil
- Controlling natural urges to urinate
- Irregular intake of food and junk food is also found to be a major cause
Dandruff is definitely not a life threatening disease, but continuous negligence may result in severe skin diseases. It also causes irritation which in turn leads to heavy hair fall. It is very important to treat dandruff.
There are a million products in the market that claim to fight dandruff. An article titled “Dandruff: The most commercially exploited skin disease” by S.Ranganathan and T Mukhopadhyay highlighted about how personal care industry has been exploiting this skin disease.
As far as this condition goes, natural remedies could just do the trick without a need to try various anti dandruff shampoos and oils. The natural remedy discussed here to treat dandruff:
It is rightly also referred to as “NATURE’S BOON”
Lemon basically has its own set of anti-bacterial and natural medications. It has a lot of health benefits and is useful in prevention of hemorrhoids, fever, blood pressure, diabetes, skin problems, hair problems, indigestion and many other health ailments.
Lemon can be used in a variety of ways and in combination with few other useful natural ingredients.
How to treat dandruff with lemon?
Hazel oil and Lemon Juice
Hazel oil is a good remedy for dandruff – mix this oil with 1 or 2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Heat the mixture of oil and lemon and apply the warm mixture on your scalp and hair. Wait for 20 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Curd with Lemon Juice
Curd and lemon juice is one of best Ayurvedic remedies to get rid of this dandruff issue.
- Take a tablespoon of curd and mix it with a few teaspoons of lemon juice.
- The mixture has to be applied on your scalp.
- Wait for a duration of 20 to 30 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Curd naturally cools our scalp and prevents from dryness. This combination also works as natural conditioner.
Lemon Juice with Coconut Oil
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil. Allow it to become warm.
- Add half tablespoon of lemon to warm coconut oil and apply it on your scalp.
- Massage well and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Clean your hair with shampoo and dry with a clean towel. Follow this regimen regularly for at least 3 to 4 times a week.
Vinegar and Lemon
Like lemon, vinegar is also excellent in treating hair problems and especially dandruff. Take 2 tablespoons of vinegar, mix it with lemon juice and apply it on your scalp.This is found to be an easy remedy.
Neem Leaves and Lemon
- Grind neem leaves and make them into a paste.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice to the neem paste.
- Gently massage the paste on your scalp and leave it for half an hour.
- Follow with a shampoo wash.
It not only removes, but also prevents further increase of dandruff.
Fenugreek & Lemon
Fenugreek seeds are always a best for hair and hair related problems. The cooling capabilities of these seeds and its ability to condition hair beautifully makes it a much sought after remedy. Add lime juice to fenugreek powder and apply it once or twice a week to cure dandruff. Alternatively, fenugreek seeds can be soaked overnight and ground along with lemon juice.
Apart from the above, there are also some other methods to get relief from dandruff. You could mix lime juice with tea, lemon with eggs, a preparation of orange peel as a paste and adding lime juice to it. All these help to control dandruff.
Research in favor of lemon treatment
A school of Cosmetic Science at Mae Fah Luang University, Thailand conducted a test using 30 Thai volunteers aged between 20 to 60 years, concluded that a hair tonic formulation with 10% of lemongrass oil proved to be the most effective preparation for dandruff treatment.
Lemon is an inexpensive and a sure shot natural remedy for dandruff. Do try the above tips to get remove dandruff from your scalp. Also remember, eating healthy food is extremely important to avoid such skin and scalp problems.
Tip: Consumption of green leafy vegetables and non fatty food items helps you to be keep dandruff away.