Mudakathan keerai or Balloon vine is a type of green famous for its joint pain alleviating properties. This green is available in various parts of the world and is used in various native medicines. The name of the leaf in Tamil roughly translates to that which can cure joint pain.
Probably because of its presence everywhere, even on the roadsides, this wonder leaf has lost its value. In traditional Indian recipes, this green was used in various ways. But now, its use has slowly reduced. With a growing number of women suffering from Arthritis, Mudakathan is now re-gaining its importance.
In order to find significant relief from joint pain, you should consume the green everyday. Occasional consumption is good for health but will not help you find a cure. Consume the powder of Mudakathan (Balloon vine) continuously at least for 30 – 48 days to cure arthritis or gout. You can eat it in the form of soups, as a juice, in your dosa or in any other way you would prefer.
That being said, although it is good to consume the fresh leafy green regularly, you might not be able to get the greens everyday.
Head over to the tutorial below on how to make Mudakathan leaf powder at home.
- 5 Bunches Mudakathan leaves Known as Balloon Vine in English
- Take the fresh leaves of Mudakathan keerai and wash them thoroughly. Chop the roots off.
- Allow the leaves to dry in full sun for a couple of days till they are fully dry and crisp.
- Place the dried leaves in a blender.
- Blend on high for a few minutes till you get a powder.
- Sieve the powder or hand pick the stems off.
- You can either make a fine powder as shown in this picture. Or
- If you're like me and unwilling to throw away the coarse powder, retain it that way just without the bigger stems. The powder is done and you can use it for 4 - 6 months.