Menopause starts in the late 40’s or early 50’s for many women. During this period, women experience any one of the following symptoms. These include insomnia, lowered libido, hot flashes, mood swings (1), tiredness, night sweats, irritability and soon. ‘Here is the simple home remedy to delay menopause (2).
How does licorice help delay menopause?
Licorice affects the adrenal glands (4), which activates estrogen and progesterone production when the ovaries fail. Menopause symptoms arise when the adrenal gland and ovaries are not functioning properly. Licorice is rich in niacin, magnesium, chromium, silicon and many other nutrients, thus keeps the body healthy and help in delaying menopause. Consume licorice powder in cow’s milk twice daily to delay menopause.
Nutrition facts about licorice
Licorice offers wide range of valuable nutrients, flavonoids, and amino acids (5). The root of the licorice contains flavonoids like liquiritin, glabridin (6), chalcones as well as coumarins like glycyrol. Licorice is a rich source of vitamin E, vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid). It also contains minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, choline, selenium, zinc and silicon.
Health benefits of licorice
Menopause and premenstrual syndrome
Licorice is highly effective in treating the menopause symptoms. As it is rich in isoflavones, it helps to maintain estrogen and progesterone in the body. Studies have proved that licorice root has the ability to reduce the frequency of nocturnal hot flashes(7) and shows positive results in improving physical and psychological health in menopausal women. Drinking a glass of pure cow’s milk mixed with licorice powder helps delay menopause and soothes cramp and discomfort during menstruation.
Licorice contains glycyrrhizin which is great to improve the eradication of toxins (8). Studies have shown that licorice contains some antioxidant flavonoids called isoliquiritigenin, this is very effective in preventing liver damage caused by high-fat injuries and oxidative stress.
Prevents peptic ulcer
Peptic ulcer comes from bacterial infections namely Helicobacter pylori (9). It can be identified with the symptoms like nausea, appetite loss and abdominal pain. Licorice posseses bioactive compounds called glycyrrhizin, which is helpful in treating peptic ulcer. Glabridin a chemical compound found in licorice extract has great impacts on hindering the development of helicobacter pylori. Also, the antibacterial properties of licorice prevent bacterial infections.
Licorice root contains chemopreventive effects which is beneficial in reducing the risk of development or recurrence of cancer cells. Studies have proved that the antiproliferative (10)property of licorice root can limit the growth of breast cancer. Many researches have been done to test the anti-tumor quality of licorice root and the result was very positive.
The antimicrobial and antibacterial properties present in licorice root acts well in the treatment of lung infections and make it an effective remedy for tuberculosis.
You can also consume licorice root for various digestive system complaints such as colic, stomach ulcers, heartburn, and digestive track inflammation. Licorice tea is an excellent detox drink, consuming licorice tea cleanses the body by strengthening the liver and kidneys.
The absorption of fat in the body will ultimately lead to obesity, which has numerous negative impacts on our health. Flavonoids are group of compounds found in licorice root have antioxidant property. These flavonoids are proven to apply anti-obesity action by regulating enzymatic activity involved in fat deposition and breakdown. One of the flavonoids called Glycyrrhiza chalcones found in licorice root has anti-obesity and lipid lowering effect. Licorice tea can be consumed to lose weight (11). But licorice should not be consumed longer than 4 to 6 weeks and it is not suitable for pregnant women.
Health benefits of cow’s milk
Milk is packed with many nutrients. One glass of milk contains vital nutrients such as calcium, potassium, phosphorous, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin, fat and protein. Let’s see the various health benefits.
- The high amount of calcium in milk helps to maintain bone health. Consuming a glass of milk per day builds strong bones and teeth.
- Cow’s milk (12) tends to have high content of omega-3 fatty acids. They are good form of cholesterol in the body which helps improve heart health and prevents heart diseases such as stroke and heart attack.
- Cow’s mill is rich in vitamin B which ensures healthy functioning of brain, nerves and sleep wake cycles.
- It contains complete proteins which means it is directly useful to our body, both in production of energy as well as in growth and development. For children, it is highly important to drink milk on daily basis to improve both mental and physical health.
- Cow’s milk contains vitamin E, zinc, and selenium, all these antioxidant compounds seek out dangerous free radicals throughout the body that may be causing chronic illnesses.
- 2 Licorice root Adhimathuram in Tamil
- 100 ml Pure boiled cow's milk
- To make the drink, use licorice root and pure boiled cow's milk.
- Add licorice roots to blender.
- Blend well into a fine powder. You can sieve if you would like to get a more fine powder.
- Add one teaspoon of licorice powder to pure boiled cow's milk.
- Mix the powder in milk.
- Drink is done.