Vilvam, also called as Bael, is a popular tree which has its origin in India. The tree, its leaves and fruit are considered sacred by many people in the country. The leaves of the Vilvam tree have been used since ancient times in preparation of natural medicines. The leaves contain many medicinal properties in it. Vilvam leaves are used in Ayurveda and Sidha to treat diarrhea, constipation, respiratory illness, scurvy, fungal and viral infections.
This DIY explains how to prepare kashayam using Vilvam leaves to cure fever. A person is said have fever, when the body temperature is higher than the normal body temperature. The rise in temperature may be caused by viral or bacterial infection, exhaustion because of heat, sunburn, diseases like arthritis or general body pain and other painful disorders. Severe cough and cold can also cause fever in an individual. Generally the infection might get cured in a day or two, if not, you need to take medicines.
There are many over the counter medicines available in the market to treat fever, but choosing herbal home remedies will give good results without any side effects.
Kashayam made with vilvam leaves, dry ginger (sukku), cumin seeds (jeera) and black pepper corns can help you flush out the infection causing virus/bacteria effectively and cure fever in short period of time. The anti-bacterial property in Vilvam leaves helps treat fever and reduce the body temperature.
Bael – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Aegle marmelos
- English – Wood apple
- Hindi – Bael
- Sanskrit – Bilva
- Malayalam – Koolam
- Bengali – Belpatthar ka paid
- Tamil – Vilvam
- Kannada – Belladi hannu
- Telugu – Bilva
Health benefits of Dry ginger: Dry ginger is anti-inflammatory by nature. It reduces stomach irritation, cough cold, head aches and also improves metabolism.
Dry ginger – Names in other languages:
- Scientific name – Zingiber officinale
- English – Dry ginger
- Hindi – Sonth
- Sanskrit – Sunthi
- Malayalam – Chukku
- Bengali – Sonth
- Tamil – Sukku
- Kannada – Shunti
- Telugu – Sonti
Health benefits of cumin seeds: Cumin seeds, also called as jeera, has many medicinal properties in it. It aids digestion, treats diabetes, insomnia, constipation, piles, anemia, skin rashes, boosts lactation, eliminates mucus and cold, treats respiratory disorders and boosts general immunity.
Cumin seeds – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Cuminum cyminum
- English – Cumin seeds
- Hindi – Jeera
- Sanskrit – Jiraka
- Malayalam – Jeerakam
- Bengali – Jeera
- Tamil – Jeeragam
- Kannada – Jeerige
- Telugu – Jeelakari
Health benefits of Black pepper: It is a natural anti-bacterial, treats respiratory illness, aids digestion and boosts immunity. It provides relief from nasal congestion, asthma and sinus.
Follow the instructions in this DIY to prepare the Kashayam to treat fever.
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper corns
- 1 small piece Dry ginger (Sukku)
- 5 to 6 Vilvam leaves (Bael)
- To prepare Vilvam kashayam to cure fever, you need fresh vilvam leaves, dry ginger, cumin seeds and black pepper corns.
- First, place cumin seeds, pepper corns and dry ginger in a mortar.
- Crush them well.
- Add to a pan.
- Now, add clean vilvam leaves to the mortar.
- Crush it well with few drops of water.
- Add crushed leaves to the pan along with crushed spices.
- Add water to the pan.
- Switch on the flame and boil it.
- Strain the boiled water. Cool it.
- Consume the kashayam when its warm.