A sprain in the leg, arm, shoulder or anywhere else is always a painful thing to undergo. While it may seem like a minor problem, the swelling and pain due to a sprain sometimes lingers for days and it can interfere with our daily activities.
Here are some Siddha and Ayurveda based homed remedies to cure sprain and the swelling.
Tamarind and salt remedy
Follow the below remedy if there is minor swelling due to sprain.
- In a vessel, pour some water.
- Add a ball of tamarind (size of a lemon) and 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Mix well with your hand to get the tamarind extract.
- Boil this water for a while till it becomes thicker.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Apply this on the affected are and leave it as such for about an hour. You can repeat this a few times through the day.
Tamarind leaf remedy
- Steam cook the leaves of tamarind.
- Take a big cotton cloth and place the hot tamarind leaves in it.
- Tie it like a bundle.
- Use this as a poultice on the affected area for relief from pain and swelling.
- Take a few cloves of garlic.
- Peel the cloves.
- In a mortal, place the peeled garlic cloves, put in two teaspoons of salt.
- Grind well with a pestle.
- Apply this ground mixture few times a day on the swelling.
Veldt grape remedy
If you twisted your ankle and the twist caused a sprain, you can use the below remedy.
- Take a few pieces of Veldt grape (also known as adamant creeper) and cut into pieces.
- Blend the cut pices and get the extract.
- In a vessel, boil a cup of water.
- Add the Veldt grape extract along with tamarind and salt.
- Allow to boil till it becomes a thin paste.
- Apply this paste on the twisted area and cover it with a thin breathable cotton cloth.
Repeat this twice or thrice a day for relief. This remedy will cure any minor sprain or swelling in a day or two.
Indian nettle remedy
This remedy can be used to cure the swelling due to a sprain. The plant used for this remedy is Indian nettle. This plant has a lot of medicinal properties including its use in skin care. This grows easily in tropical regions and finds its application in various siddha medicines.
- Take the leaves of Indian nettle.
- Wash and grind a handful of the leaves.
- Squeeze well to get the extract.
- Take two teaspoons of edible slaked lime.
- Mix the indian nettle juice with slaked lime into a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the swelling to bring it down.
You can do this as many as three times a day.
Borreria Hispida remedy
This remedy uses a herb called Borreria hispida. This medicinal herb is used in various siddha medicines and has been found to have amazing topical benefits ranging from cure for swelling, pain reduction to treatment of skin rashes. The flip side though is that this herb is not easily available.
If you happen to have a siddha medicine store nearby, you can then try to get the leaves of this plant. It is commonly used by siddha practitioners of the state of Tamil nadu in India and they refer to this leaf as ‘Nathai choori’ in Tamil.
- Take the leaves of Borreria hispida.
- Wash and grind the leaves with water into a asmooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area. Apply it as a thick coat like a face mask and leave it on till it air dries for a few hours.
You can repeat this treatment twice a day. Do apply this once at night so that it can treat the swelling over the night.
Other precautions and remedies
- Give enough rest to the affected part.
- Give it required support.
- You can apply an ice pack for immediate relief. You can then follow any of these remedies once the pain comes down a little.
- Drink lot of water and fluids to keep you hydrated and to handle the pain better. This will also help to bring the swelling down.
- Avoid rubbing or massaging the affected are using any rubs or oil. It could do more harm than good. A poultice is always the choice when it comes to sprains.
If the pain or swelling is intense, go to the doctor. It could be more severe than just a sprain and you might need medical attention.
Although all these remedies are harmless and do not have any known side effects, it is better to follow these for adults and slightly grown up kids only.