Psoriasis is a common skin disorder typically characterized by patches of abnormal skin. The skin patches are normally red, itchy, and scaly. Psoriasis occurs when the underlying skin cells reach the surface of the skin. They grow faster than the other normal skin cells. It commonly occurs on the elbows, knees, finger nails, toes and scalp. There are five types of psoriasis namely plaque, guttate, inverse, pustular, and erythrodermic. Psoriasis is usually considered a genetic disease.
Symptoms of psoriasis
- Red patches of skin covered with silvery scales
- Swelling and joint pains
- Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Itching, burning or soreness
- Swollen and stiff joints
Remedies for Psoriasis
Here are some of the herbal remedies to cure psoriasis:
Turmeric has antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in it. It is a useful herb which finds an important place in ayurveda. Curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric has ability to suppress and cure psoriasis.
- Take 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder.
- Mix with water.
- Apply this on the affected area.
- Leave it for some time and wash it away.
Apple cider vinegar
Generally used for various household and cooking purposes. Apple cider vinegar contains antioxidants that helps to cure various health problems.
- Take one teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- Dilute in luke warm water.
- Apply it on the injured area.
- Massage for 2 minutes.
- Wash with water.
This remedy cures itchy and dryness on the scalp.
Aloe vera is one of the best remedies to treat psoriasis. It has many medicinal properties to treat skin infections.
- Take an aloe vera leaf.
- Cut into pieces.
- Squeeze and scrap to extract the gel.
- Apply this over the affected area and do a gentle massage for 2 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water after 15 minutes.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
It is also useful for soothing your skin.
Coconut oil is the ideal thing for a natural skin moisturizer and also gives number of health benefits. If mixed with aloe vera, it doubles the benefit.
- Take pure coconut oil.
- Mix 3 to 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Apply on clean skin and leave overnight.
- Rinse with water in the morning.
It gives instant relief from itchiness and coconut oil protects skin from dryness and irritation.
Neem powder / oil
Neem is widely used in ayurveda and many ayurvedic medicines contain neem as the active ingredient.
- Take one teaspoon of neem powder/oil.
- Add it with aloe vera gel.
- Make it a paste and apply it on the infected area.
Try 2 to 3 times a week for better results.
Making small changes in your diet will go a long way in improving your health. Eliminate sugar, artificial sweeteners, fried foods, soft drinks, refined flour and alcohol. If you are already suffering with psoriasis, these foods can worsen the present condition. Try to include lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet. This helps to improve your skin cells.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has anti bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces itching, redness and burning sensation.
- 100 ml Aloe vera gel.
- 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil.
- Each of 10 ml of Avocado oil, lavender oil, vitamin E oil, jojoba oil.
- 4 ml Patchouli.
- 3 drops german chamomile.
- 10 ml Bergamot.
Mix all the ingredients, keep it in a container and leave it overnight to settle. Apply this mixture on the affected area after bath. Gently massage and leave. Try this remedy twice a day for better results.
Tea tree oil to treat scalp psoriasis – Method:
- Mix 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil in your regular shampoo.
- Stir well and use it to wash your hair and scalp.
- Repeat the same regularly.
Tea tree oil bath
Sometimes you may find it difficult to touch the psoriasis affected area and so it may be difficult to apply tea tree oil with your fingers. Tea tree oil bath helps to reach all the affected areas.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil on your bath tub.
- Fill the tub with luke warm water.
- Use this water for bathing.
It will reduce the severity of psoriasis.
Cayenne pepper has anti-irritant, anti-redness, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lemon or grapefruit juice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add lemon or grapefruit juice to a glass of warm water.
- Mix turmeric powder and cayenne pepper.
- Drink on an empty stomach.
Continue this for twice a week to cure psoriasis.
Before trying any of these natural remedies consult with your doctor.
Baking soda and lemon juice
- 1 or 2 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Baking soda.
- Take 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon.
- Add it to a glass of water.
- Add little baking soda and stir.
- In a few seconds it will fizz.
- Add little more once fizzing slows down.
- Drink two to three glasses per day on an empty stomach.
Castor oil/Olive oil
- Take 2 to 3 teaspoons of castor/olive oil.
- Heat the oil till it becomes warm.
- Apply on the scalp and gently massage.
- Leave it overnight.
- Wash your head with shampoo the next day.
This natural remedy heals the affected skin and the flakes will slowly reduce.
Before trying the above natural remedies, consult or take advice from your doctor.