Something as simple as digestive gas can throw off your toddler’s appetite, give her a stomach ache, make her cranky. These home remedies for gastric problem in toddlers can help to cure the condition easily and these are very effective too.
In both Siddha and Ayurveda, cumin seeds have been used as the primary remedy for all digestion related problems.
Regular consumption of cumin seeds water by toddlers as well as adults can keep all digestive issues away.
- Take 1 liter of water and boil it well.
- Switch off.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds to the hot water.
- Let the seeds steep for about 1 hour.
Drink this multiple times a day.
You can also make a juice of Holy Basil (Tulsi) leaves and cumin seeds. This can be given once a day. Read the detailed recipe here.
This is one of my favorite remedies. Super easy to make and very effective to release gas.
- Take a glass of buttermilk. (It should not be thick, but nicely diluted buttermilk)
- Add 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (Hing in Hindi) powder to the buttermilk.
- Stir well.
- Give this to your toddler once a day to cure flatulence.
He will have fun burping out all that troublesome gas soon!!
A very effective remedy to treat flatulence is using fennel seeds. Fennel seeds are great to treat, bloating, flatulence/gas and nausea. It can also treat digestive disorders such as IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Follow the steps below to make herbal drink using fennel seeds for your toddler.
- Take a glass (250 ml) of warm water.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of fennel seeds to it.
- Allow to steep for about 20 minutes.
- Now, blend the fennel seeds along with the water.
- Strain well to get an extract.
- Give 50 ml of this fennel seeds water every 2 hours.
Ginger + chamomile tea
Ginger has properties that can prevent and cure nausea, vomiting, indigestion and digestive gas. It can help to streamline the digestive process and get rid of toxins present. Chamomile has soothing properties and it relieves flatulence and heartburn. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can heal any problems caused by the condition.
And the best thing is, both ginger and chamomile are tender on a toddler’s digestive system. Follow the below steps to make a tea using ginger and chamomile flowers.
- Chop a one inch piece of ginger and peel off the skin.
- Crush the ginger piece.
- Take 5-6 fresh chamomile flowers. (If using dried chamomile flowers, you can take 1 teaspoon of dried flowers)
- In a vessel, boil about 300 ml of water.
- Add the crushed ginger and chamomile flowers to the boiling water.
- Allow the contents to boil for about 3 minutes.
- Switch off.
- Strain well and let it become warm.
Give this tea to your toddler 5-6 times a day. (Give 50-60 ml each time)
If your toddler feels pain in the abdomen or near the chest due to flatulence give me small quantities of warm water every 20 minutes. This can ease the condition and give relief. A common reason for reduced water consumption is the weather. When the weather is cold, toddlers do not feel thirsty and due to this, their water consumption is very low. This causes gas accumulation and could lead to gastric problems. Ensure that your toddler drinks water regularly to prevent flatulence.
You can gently massage the area around the belly. A small amount of sesame oil can be massaged on the belly. Sesame oil can not only provide relief from pain due to flatulence, it can also reduce heat. This technique can hence also be a cure for abdominal pain due to excessive body heat and constipation.
Note: Do not overdo the massage. Just a minute or two of massage should be sufficient.
A tea made using peppermint leaves can be given to your toddler.
- Take 200 ml water in a vessel.
- Add 8-10 crushed peppermint leaves to the water.
- Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off and add a teaspoon of palm sugar.
- Stir and drink when warm.
If your child is a fan of peppermint leaves like mine, then you can give her/him a few leaves to chew on.