Kidney stone is a solid piece of material that forms in kidney. These stones may stay in kidney or travel down to the urinary tract. Kidney stone forms in different sizes. A small stone may give little or no pain, large stones may get stuck in the urinary tract and produce severe pain and bleeding.
There are three types of kidney stones:
- Calcium Salts (75% – 85%)
- Struvite or non calcium containing crystals (10 – 15%)
- Uric acid crystals (5 – 8%)
Causes of kidney stone
Kidney stones are usually formed because of the following reasons.
- Drinking less water or drinking more water
- Consuming less salt or more salt
- Usage of mosquito coils
- Regular usage of air-conditioners
- Staying in a less ventilated place, hot and dry area
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Chronic diseases such as diarrhea, diabetes, high blood pressure
- Undergone bypass or ostomy surgery
Symptoms of kidney stones
- Severe stomach and back pain
- Blood in urine
- White blood cells or pus in urine
- Burning sensation during urination
- Vomiting and nausea
- Feeling feverish and chills
- Smell/Odour in urine
Here, I am sharing some of herbal remedies that are not only available in home, also quite efficient when curing kidney stones.
- 2 figs
- 1 cup of water
Take 2 figs boil in one cup of water, filter the water and drink, by doing this exercise for a month gives good result.
- 3 un-cooked okras
- 2 litre water
- Cut okra into small pieces and soak in water over night.
- Next day morning squeeze and extract the juice of okra.
- Consume the extract twice or thrice a day.
Many think that milk and milk products increase the risk of kidney stone since milk contains calcium. Actually, less calcium intake also doubles the risk of kidney stone. It is advisable to drink milk to reduce the possibility of getting it.
Fluid intake has a great implication in stone formation. Drinking plenty of water reduces the risk of kidney stones and hence it is suggested to consume minimum 8 glasses of water in a day. Aim for at least 2 ½ to 3 litres of water per day and people who suffer with kidney stones must aim for at least 4 litres per day, since water has the power of flushing out excess minerals and toxins present in our body and also decreases the risk of crystal formation.
“The strongest scientific evidence certainly comes from a five-year randomized controlled trial conducted among patients recruited directly after their first idiopathic calcium stone episode. This study showed that recommending patients to increase fluid intakes to achieve a urine volume superior to 2L per day resulted in reduced kidney stone recurrence compared to a group without specific advice.
The European Association of Urology recommends increasing fluid intake independent of the type of stones to achieve a urine volume of more than 2L a day, on top of other dietary and lifestyle advice”.
Lemon Juice and Olive oil
- Take an equal amount of lemon juice and olive oil.
- Stir well.
- Drink it immediately followed by drinking water.
This will reduce pain and slowly wash out kidney stone.
- Take ½ kg American beans and de-seed.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Add these to 2 litres of water.
- Heat approximately for 2 hours in a reduced flame.
- Take out the beans and leave it to get cool.
- Once it comes to normal temperature, grind it well and consume.
You must drink 3 litres of water within 3 hours after consumption of these ground beans. Drinking water is a must. It breaks all kidney stones and you can see the stones getting passed along with urine. A very effective method, and in a few days all stones will be washed out from kidney. You can even do a scanning after doing this exercise.
A good natural remedy for kidney stone is to consume large quantities of watermelon for an entire day.
It cleanses your kidney fast and the rest of your system as well. The water content is comparatively more than the other fruits, so regular consumption of watermelon reduces the risk of getting kidney stones.
Oxalic acid is present in kidney stone and so logically speaking, it is better to avoid eating vegetables and fruits which contain this substance. However kidney stone sufferers need not completely avoid them. High oxalate foods are actually healthy foods too, so when you consume foods high in oxalate, have them with calcium rich foods.
Foods high in Oxalate
- Soy beans
- Wheat bran
- Dark chocolate
Amount of required Calcium intake per day:
- All adults 19 – 50 years – 1000 mg
- Females 51 – 70 years – 1200 mg
- Males 51 – 70 years – 1000 mg
- All adults more than 70 years – 1200 mg
Pomegranates are best to treat kidney stone. Both the fruit and juice contain plenty of water and this helps in passing out small stones through urine. Prepare a paste using pomegranate seeds and eat along with horse gram soup. This remedy will double the effect.
Holy basil leaves
- 1 tsp basil (Tulasi) leaves juice
- 1 tsp honey
Basil leaves juice mixed with honey is a wonderful natural remedy to remove kidney stones from our urinary tract. Eating raw basil leaves also helps in washing out kidney stones.
Some of other simple methods to remove kidney stone:
- Drinking tender coconut water regularly.
- Drink radish leaf juice twice a day.
- Drink fresh tomato juice in the morning.
- Cut down salty foods, and avoid consuming table salt.
- Eating cucumber is a great way to wash away kidney stones.
Caution : Except lemon and watermelon juice, try to avoid all other kinds of juices.
“A study conducted by Harvard School of Public Health has revealed that drinking apple juice daily increases the risk by almost 75% and drinking grape fruit or orange juice increases the risk by 85%”. Eating fruits are always good for health.
Other points to note:
- Some studies showed that people who take high doses of vitamin C in the form of supplements have higher risk of kidney stones because the body converts vitamin C into oxalate.
- Fish and meat increases the uric acid in urine. It settles and forms a stone in the kidney.