Intestinal worms are worms that affect the gastro-intestinal tract. These worms cause pain and discomfort and are harmful if not removed.
Causes for intestinal worms
Worms in the intestine could be due to various reasons. It could be due to something as simple as under-cooked meats and sometimes due to some serious underlying problem like HIV. Some of the reasons for intestinal worms are mentioned below:
- Improper hygiene.
- Contaminated food or water.
- Sluggish metabolism and poor digestion.
- Uncooked meats and contamination in meats, dairy or poultry.
- Dirty fingers due to which contamination enters the body.
Herbal remedies for getting rid of intestinal worms
Mango seed remedy
- Sun dry the seed of a mango.
- Dry grind it to make it ito a powder.
- Take a teaspoon of this powder and make a paste by adding honey.
- Consume this paste twice a day for a couple of days and you will see that the worms are slowly eradicated while passing your stools.
- Eat pomegranate every night before bed.
- Follow up with a glass of warm water.
Do this for a week and you can get rid of intestinal worms.
Neem leaves are an excellent way to get rid of ay kind of worms or infection. The bitter taste of neem leaves and its properties help to get rid of intestinal worms and has been one of the best remedies. There are two methods of consume neem leaves.
- Take around 20 – 30 leaves on neem leaves and wash them.
- Boil water in a vessel.
- Add the leaves to the boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for around 7 to 10 minutes till the water changes to a adark greenish brown colour.
- Switch off and allow it to cool a bit.
- Add a teaspoon of honey when it is still warm, stir and drink.
Kids find it difficult to drink the neem leaf tea described above. But kids are often affected by intestinal worms (probably due to dirty fingers during play) and neem leaves worm the best and have an immediate effect.
Method (for kids):
- Take a handful of neem leaves and wash them.
- Grind the leaves along with just a little water (to blend)
- Roll it into a small ball.
- Take a banana, cut it into half and make small dent in it.
- Keep the neem leaf ball in it and close it up again with the banana.
- Have your kid eat the closed up part so that he can easily swallow it and the sweet taste of the banana will make it easier for the little one to consume.
Both the above remedies can remove intestinal worms through the stools in a day. Continue this treatment for 2 days (for kids) and for 3 days (for adults) to get rid of intestinal worms.
Bitter gourd remedy
- De-seed a bittergourd.
- Take the seeds and grind it along with little water.
- Add milk to this ground bittergourd seeds paste.
- Do not add honey or sugar and just drink it.
- This would be super bitter but it is worth it. Continue the treatment for two to three days.
Pomegranate root remedy
The roots of pomegranate can help to remove intestinal worms.
- Take the roots of a pomegranate plant and wahs off the mud.
- Grind this along with water into a smooth paste.
- Boil water in a vessel.
- Add the root paste to the boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for a few minutes till you get a thick decoction.
- Switch off.
- Strain well to get the decocotion / tea.
- Add a drop of honey to this tea and drink.
This is a mild remedy and can be good for all those suffering from worms.
Papaya has a component called papain that helps to destroy roundworms. Papain is available in abundance in unripe papaya and that is the remedy we would be seeing here.
- Wash and peel an unripe papaya.
- De-seed and cut the papaya into slices.
- Blend the papaya slices along with water.
- Drink this juice twice a day for a couple of days.
This remedy can also be used for kids and is harmless. It may not be as quick a remedy as neem or bitter gourd but will definitely be a cure after you continue this treatment for a few days.
Turkey berry remedy
Many cuisines use turkey berry in their everyday cooking. This berry has a bitter taste to it and is very good for health. Regular intake of this berry can prevent the formation of worms in the intestine.
- Remove the stem from turkey berries.
- Add salt, cayenne and pepper to water.
- Soak the berries in the water for a day or two.
- Sun dry the soaked berries for a week till the dry well.
- These sun dried turkey berries can be added to gravies, veggies or curries.
Consuming these berries once a week can also keep intestinal worms at bay and these are good for kids to eat too.