Radish is a root vegetable grown all over the world. The radish plant is primarily grown for procuring the roots for consumption as raw and cooked vegetable. However the leaves of the plant provides as much benefit as radish root and any other green leaf vegetable.
The nutrients in radish leaves are many. Significant quantities of potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and sodium are available in radish leaves. It contains vitamins such as B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6, B9 (folate), C, K and E. In addition to minerals and vitamins, radish leaves provide protein, carbohydrate and dietary fiber. The energy provided by about 200 gm. of radish leaves is only 50 calories making it a low calorie diet with important nutritional values
The nutrition facts outlined above will clearly reveal that the radish leaves which are normally thrown out as wastage must be used as a green leaf vegetable regularly. In fact the leaves of radish roots are more nutrient than the radish root itself.
Health benefits of Radish leaves
Consumption of radish leaves as regular diet or in the form of specific preparations are highly beneficial in solving many health problems in addition to preventing certain medical conditions. Some of the health benefits of radish leaves are:
The presence of high dietary fiber content in radish leaves accelerates the digestive process and facilitate easy bowel movement. Due to this the feces is loosened and the bowel is cleared. The consumption of the leaves not only prevents constipation but also cures the same. In severe cases of constipation the radish leaves is made into a paste adding sugar and water and consumed for quick cure. The paste is also applied on the anus for curing inflammation.
Removes stones in the bladder
The radish leaf vegetable is diuretic and increases urine flow even while dissolving the stones in the bladder and the urinary tract. The urinary system is prevented from contacting infection as radish leaf remove toxins from the body. Vitamin B6 in radish leaves dissolves the stones formed in the kidneys and protect the kidneys.
Consumption of radish leaves on regular basis can cure both internal piles and bleeding piles. For specific relief it can be both consumed and its paste externally applied on the anus to stop bleeding.
Since the radish leaf contains iron it enhances the production of red blood cells and also increases the hemoglobin level in the blood.
As radish leaf has significant iron content which increases the hemoglobin and also has other vitamins and minerals like riboflavin, folate, vitamins A and C in addition to potassium, manganese and calcium it enhances the strength of the body and remove tiredness and fatigue.
Radish leaf is anti-scorbutic as it contains vitamin C. Deficiency of vitamin C is responsible for scurvy which causes tiredness, muscle weakness, joint and muscle aches, bleeding of the gums and rash on the legs. Green leafy vegetables in general and radish leaf in particular has the ability to prevent scurvy and related disorders.
Prevents and treats cancer
Presence of vitamin C, folic acid and flavonoids in radish leaves functions as detoxifiers and prevent as well as treat kidney, colon, and stomach, intestinal and oral cancers. Moreover, antioxidants and isthiocyanates present in radish leaf inhibits production of cancer cells and also eliminate the cancer cells, if present.
Other benefits of Radish leaves are:
- Anthocyanin present in radish leaf with the flavonoids protects the cardiovascular system and reduces the disorders and diseases related to the cardiovascular system.
- Potassium in radish leaf regulates the blood flow and keep the blood pressure at the desired levels
- The high level of water content in radish leaves help prevent dehydration of the body. Consumption of juice extracted from radish leaves keep the body hydrated well and prevents dehydration. Besides, the juice also keeps the body cool particularly during summer season.
- Consumption of radish leaves as vegetable or as juice enhances the functioning of the immune system and the respiratory tract. Due to this character cold, cough and sore throat are cured.
- Because of its property to cool down the body radish leaves are helpful in treating fever and other disorders like allergies including bronchitis and asthma.
- Long time consumption of radish leaf and using its applications are known to cure rheumatism, jaundice and diabetes.
Radish leaf is consumed in different forms to obtain significant benefits. Depending upon the remedy required, it may be consumed as a green vegetable or as fresh juice regularly. The radish leaves are also dried, powdered and mixed with water and consumed as an alternative for green leaf preparations. Barring certain benefits, dry powder also provides many of the benefits as green leaf and its juice.
Radish leaves can be consumed both in raw as well as cooked form.