The flower, leaves and root of lotus provide various health benefits. Lotus can cool down the body, work as a diuretic, can cure problems such as dandruff due to its anti-fungal properties, improve cardiac health, can soothe skin and make it soft and supple, reduces fever and works as an astringent.
Lotus root has been used a delicacy in various Asian cuisines for its flavour and health benefits. It is filled with phytonutrients, potassium, iron, copper, zinc and phosphorous. It also contains substantial amounts of dietary fiber and hence can be used for all diets.
The flower of lotus contains good amounts of B Vitamins. Due to this reason, lotus flowers can improve fertility and also keep the body healthy by fighting free radicals that cause diseases.
In addition to these, parts of the lotus flower can be used in the below ways to treat common ailments.
Health benefits of lotus
To cure fever
- Take the roots and leaves of a lotus flower.
- Wash them well.
- Chop the roots and leaves into small pieces.
- Take 250 ml water in a vessel.
- Switch on the stove and allow the water to heat up.
- Now add the chopped root and leaves to the water.
- Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off and strain to get the decoction.
- Drink this decoction once a day to reduce fever and fatigue.
To cure cardiac problems
A tonic can be made by following the steps below:
- Take the petals of white lotus flower.
- Boil the petals of one lotus in 300 ml water.
- Allow to boil till the quantity reduces by half.
- Add palm sugar.
- Strain to get the decoction (kashayam)
- Add 100 ml milk.
- Mix and drink once daily.
Another way to used lotus to cure cardiac problems is:
- Take the petals of white lotus flower.
- Sun dry them till crisp.
- Blend into a fine powder.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of this powder in 150 ml warm water and drink on an empty stomach daily.
The second option is easier because you can make the powder and store it for up to a month.
To cure painful urination
- Take dried pink rose buds and dried petals of lotus flower.
- Take 300 ml water in a vessel and allow it to heat up.
- Add the dried flowers to the water.
- Allow them to boil for a few minutes to get the full extract.
- Once it is warm, drink.
- You can consume this decoction twice a day to cure painful urination.
For this condition, drinking plenty of water would also help.
To treat baldness
Baldness could be hereditary or it could be due to lifestyle of a person. Whatever the reason is, home remedies can be used to treat baldness.
- Take the roots of lotus.
- Take the aerial roots of banyan. These two should be taken in 1:1 ration.
- Sun dry them.
- Blend well into a fine powder.
- Take coconut oil or olive oil in a wide vessel.
- When the oil is heating up, add the powdered roots.
- Allow the ingredients to boil together well.
- Switch off and allow to cool down.
- Strain with a clean cloth to get the clear oil.
- Apply this oil daily on the bald patches to stimulate hair growth.
To cure fatty liver disease
- Take lotus leaves and wash them well.
- Chop the leaves into smaller pieces.
- Place the chopped leaves in a tea pot infuser.
- Pour hot water over the leaves.
- Cover and allow to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the infuser and pour out the tea.
- Add palm sugar, stir and drink.
This tea also has soothing effects on the mind and body. It can hence be used to reduce stress and anxiety, to promote restful sleep and to cure symptoms of depression.
Due to its cooling properties, lotus leaf tea can also be used to bring down body heat. It is particularly useful during summer to keep the body cool and avoid problems such as heat boils, headaches and other problems due to excessive body heat.
Other benefits of lotus:
Lotus leaf tea has anti-inflammatory properties. It can provide relief from pain due to arthritis, gout, redness or swelling.
Lotus leaves have properties that can improve metabolism. As a result, the leaves are great for those looking to lose weight.
Lotus leaves have abundant amounts of anti-oxidants and hence can help to prevent various diseases. Small doses of lotus tea can be given to kids once or twice a week to build their immunity naturally.
These leaves have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. They can hence be applied externally (after blending into a paste) to cure fungal infections in the nail, athlete’s foot and foot corns.
The petals of lotus flower can reduce diabetes. Lotus petals can be chewed on, consumed in the powdered form or can be consumed in the form of a decoction to cure diabetes.