Carrot is one of the popular and regularly used vegetables daily diet. Though raw carrot is included in different dishes, the complete health benefit of carrots can be achieved when taken in juice form.
Carrot is a root vegetable like radish and sweet potato. Carrot is always been related with healthy eye sight. It contains enormous quantity of Vitamin A that is important for good vision. It provides twice the amount of average vitamin A needed for an adult on a daily basis.
Nutrition in carrot juice
One medium size carrot contains 6gm of carbohydrates, 1gm of protein and 3gm of sugar. Carrot also contains dietary fiber, iron, vitamins, A, B6, C, K and E, Zinc, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium and Phosphorous.
It also contains the powerful anti-oxidant, Beta-carotene that is absorbed in the intestine and converted as vitamin A while digesting.
Benefits of Carrot juice
Carrot juice is not only easy to make, its taste is delicious. It is easy for anyone to carry along with them for school, work or even while travelling. It can keep your tummy full for longer time and also provide many health benefits.
The iron in the juice boosts the energy level as the iron is responsible to maintain the red blood cells by transporting oxygen from the lungs to the tissues and carbon dioxide from the tissues to lungs. The iron content also helps in increasing the hemoglobin levels. Regular consumption of carrot juice can treat and cure issues related to anemia.
Regulates menstrual cycle
One cup of carrot juice contains 1.1 mg of iron which is about 6% of the daily intake required by a pre-menopausal woman and 14% of the daily intake required for other women and men. For a women who has issues with periods and the cycle, carrot juice can help you regulate the cycle. It also reduces the cramps and pain during menstruation.
Loaded with Vitamin A
Vitamin A is abundantly packed in carrot juice which contains 45,133 I.U of vitamin A which is sufficient for several days. The vitamin A in the juice not only promotes healthy eye function but also controls genetic activity. Deficiency of Vitamin A can result in vision loss or night blindness. For people who have undergone surgery in eyes, regular consumption of carrot juice can improve vision and prevent further eyesight related issues.
Vitamin K and B6
One cup of carrot juice has 37 micro grams of vitamin K providing 30% of daily intake required for men and 41% needed for women. Vitamin K is very important in creating blood clots and building healthy bones. Other than carrots, vitamin K is also found in green leafy vegetables.
Vitamin B-6 in the juice is helpful in the functioning of blood cells and hormone synthesis. It is found that the 0.5 mg of vitamin B-6 in each cup provides 38% of the required daily intake for adults.
Our body contains lot of free radicals that are very injurious to our internal system. They have the ability to cause cancer by damaging the cells. The anti-oxidants in carrot effectively fight free radicals that helps to prevent cancer development in our body.
Healthy and glowing skin
The compounds present in carrot helps to increase the health of your skin by reducing the dryness, fading the scars, reduces blemishes and improves skin tone. The anti-oxidants and minerals prevents in degeneration of skin cells. They also increase the elasticity of cells which reduces the wrinkles. Carrot juice has been traditionally used by our ancestors to increase skin fairness.
Regulates blood sugar
The high potassium content and low sugar levels in carrot, are a wonderful combination for maintaining cholesterol levels in your body. Carrot juice (without adding sugar) can be very helpful for diabetic patients, as they reduce spikes.
Carrot increases the bile secretion in our body which helps in burning fat effectively. It converts bad cholesterol into good cholesterol which can be used by our body. People who wish to reduce or maintain weight, can regularly consume carrot juice for better results. The juice is ideal for both pre and post work out stages giving boost to the nutrition levels for the body.
The other significant benefits of carrot juice are:
- It is a strong diuretic, lowers blood pressure and cleanses the kidneys. It helps to flush out toxins from the body and increases the amount of urine.
- It is very good for lactating mothers as it improves the quality of breast milk. It also helps the nursing baby to get enough amount of nutrition to have healthy skin and vision.
- Consuming carrot juice during advanced stages of pregnancy prevents possible infections in the child.
- The anti-viral and disinfectant properties of carrots can be effective in treating oral infections and infections in stomach, intestine and urinary tract.
- Carrot juice is effective in treating cold, cough, flu, ulcers, measles and mumps.
- It is effective in clearing gas from your stomach and intestine. I also prevents further formation of gas.
How to make carrot juice
- Carrots – 3 or 4 medium size
- Sugar or honey – 2 spoons
- Water – 3 spoons
- Ginger – 1 small piece (freshly chopped)
- Lemon – extract from 1 lemon
- Wash the carrots and peel off the outer skin.
- Chop the carrots into small pieces.
- Add all ingredients mentioned (except lemon) in a mixer and blend them to form a smooth paste.
- You can strain the paste by adding little more water to it.
- Add the lemon juice for taste.
You can consume the carrot juice without straining.
How to make carrot milk shake
- Chill milk – 100 ml
- Carrot – 1 medium size
- Sugar – 3 spoons
- Wash the carrot and peel off the skin.
- Chop or grate the carrot.
- Add all ingredients mentioned and blend them in a juicer
- Once you see froth, it means the shake is ready.
Serve it chilled. You can add chocolate syrup or honey to make it more attractive.