Gotu Kola or Indian Pennywort is a herb that is known for its memory enhancing abilities. Known as Vallarai in Tamil, a candy made with these leaves have been given to children for ages to improve their memory and strengthen the nervous system. But in addition to this benefit, Gotu Kola has a huge list of other benefits too. The Vedic texts of India have specified about this herb and its medicinal properties.
The leaves of Gotu Kola are rich in Manganese, Calcium, Potassium, Protein, Vitamins C, B1,B2 and B3. In addition, the leaves also contain substantial amounts of phytochemicals and flavonoids helping to strengthen immunity.
- Strengthens nervous system and boosts memory
- Reduces mental fatigue
- Increases energy levels of the mind and body
- Improves immunity
- It can help in expediting healing of wounds
- Can treat stomach ulcers
- Can treat respiratory disorders including Asthma
- Historic evidence suggests that this leaf has been used to treat severe conditions such as epilepsy
- Gotu Kola has stress relieving properties. You can read the recipe to make Gotu kola tea here.
- The properties in Gotu Kola can prevent vein problems
- Helps to purify blood and prevents skin problems
And so much more..
The herbal drink recipe in this post is for kids. Why do I say that? We as adults can drink stronger doses of the juice or even chew on the leaves. But when it comes to kids, they prefer tastier juices. The recipe for this juice is such that it can gradually give them the desired nutrition and at the same time satisfies their taste buds.
Orange and Ginger are also extremely good due to the presence of anti-oxidants. Ginger can prevent respiratory diseases and improve digestion.
Head over to the recipe to see how to make a herbal juice with Gotu kola leaves.
- 8-10 leaves Gotu Kola (Vallarai) leaves Also known as Indian Pennywort
- 1/2 Fruit Orange
- 1/4 inch piece Ginger
- 250 ml Filtered water
- Take fresh Gotu Kola (Vallarai) leaves and wash them well. Remove the stems. Use a ripe orange and a small piece ginger. Take about 250 ml of filtered water to make the juice.
- Ina blender, place the Gotu Kola leaves.
- Peel and chop a small piece of ginger.
- Cut an orange in half. Remove the seeds and skin.
- Place the sliced ginger and orange in the blender.
- Pour filtered water and blend on high for a couple of minutes.
- The ingredients have blended well.
- Let us now use a strainer and filter the clear juice since kids wouldn't like it otherwise!
- And the refreshing drink is done.