Fennel, the aromatic fresh herb used in cooking has various properties. Stems, leaves and seeds of the fennel plant can cure indigestion, reduce colic, reduce nausea, cure constipation, and so on. This particular remedy is to cure constipation in kids.
Fennel seed – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Foeniculum vulgare
- English – Fennel seed
- Hindi – Saunf
- Sanskrit – Madhurika
- Malayalam – Perunjeeragam
- Bengali – Radhuni
- Tamil – Sombu
- Kannada – Badi-sopu
- Telugu – Sopu
Fennel is used as a laxative in the treatment of mild digestive disorders due to its gastrointestinal effects, namely stimulation of motility and, at higher concentrations, antispasmodic action.
Alexandrovich I, Rakovitskaya O, Kolmo E, Sidorova T, Shushunov S: The effect of fennel (Foeniculum vul gare) seed oil emulsion in infantile colic: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Altern Ther Health Med 2003, 9:58-61.
The available scientific research on Foeniculum vulgare has shown that it is an important medicinal plant used in a wide range of ethnomedical treatments, especially for abdominal pains, antiemetic, aperitif, arthritis, cancer, colic in children, conjunctivitis, constipation, depurative, diarrhea, dieresis, emmenagogue, fever, flatulence, gastralgia, gastritis, insomnia, irritable colon, kidney ailments, as a laxative, leucorrhoea, liver pain, mouth ulcer, and stomachache.
Badgujar, S., Patel, V. V. & Atmaram, B. H., 2014. Foeniculum vulgare Mill: A Review of Its Botany, Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, Contemporary Application, and Toxicology. BioMed Research International.
- 2-4 stalks Fresh fennel leaves
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 200 ml Water
- Take 200 ml water, honey and fresh fennel leaves to make this juice. This remedy is not quite that effective with dried leaves. But if you're using dried leaves, use at least 2 tablespoons of dried leaves.
- Wash and clean leaves. Remove the thick stems and place leaves on a grinding stone. Use a blender if you do not have a grinding stone.
- Grind well as you add water to make a paste.
- Squeeze the paste well with clean hands and extract the juice.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to the juice.
- Add about 120 ml of water to dilute the juice and make it palatable for kids to drink.
- Stir the mixture well.
- The juice is ready.