A little over two thirds of the earth surface is covered by water. Water need to be consumed by humans and animals as well as other living organisms for their livelihood. While it is sourced from the earth for all purposes it is essential to ensure that the water sourced is suitable for human consumption.
It is colorless, tasteless and odorless which is the most desired form of safe drinking water. Certain types of mineral water where traces of permitted minerals are added to pure water or such traces are not removed from the sourced water while treating them to suit drinking purpose. There are many theories afloat on the quantum of water to be consumed by humans. The generally recommended quantum is about 3 to 4 liters per day by men and 2.5 to 3 liters by women.
Having decided about the quantum of per day consumption of water one has to drink water at periodical intervals and at appropriate times. Water being a universal solvent, it helps in the metabolism and hastens the digestion of food intake. Hence water need to be consumed well before consumption of food and well after consumption of food. Besides these two occasions it is advised to drink water after overnight sleep and before bedtime regularly.
Various chemical reactions and enzymatic balancing take place in the body with water as the medium. Proteins consumed and the enzymes function more effectively with water addition. More than that water is responsible in moving the nutrients from the food, balancing the hormones, excreting the antibodies and transmitting oxygen through blood.
Water is also responsible in maintaining the body temperature by keeping the body cold and by removing the excess heat from the body.
Of all the benefits of drinking water as stated above, drinking water immediately after overnight sleep that too in empty stomach is associated with lot of health benefits.
Some such benefits of drinking water in empty stomach are:
- Enhances the bowel movement: Excretion of waste completely from the body is essential for a healthy body as many of the ailments occurring to the body are due to accumulation of toxic materials and other waste in the stomach. When consumed before bed time enhances digestion, the bowel movement do not take place automatically in the mornings in the absence of a flushing mechanism. Hence upon consumption in the empty stomach it facilitate easy bowel movement and flushes out the waste and other toxic materials from the stomach. In other words it readies the stomach for consumption of breakfast in the morning.
- Prevents constipation: When consumed in empty stomach flushes the existing waste from the stomach besides improving the digestion of left over undigested food by enhancing the production of digestive enzymes and consequently quickening the bowel movement and preventing constipation.
- Increase appetite: Having flushed the stomach of waste and toxins when water is consumed in empty stomach it acts as an appetizer by enhancing the digestive system and production of digestive enzymes make the stomach craving for food by creating hunger.
- Drinking water in empty stomach cleans the colon by removing waste in addition to keeping the body sufficiently hydrated. Due to this function people who experience morning sickness or head ache in the mornings can get cured.
- Reduces body weight: Drinking in the empty stomach defers the need to consume more food. Moreover by consuming a full glass in empty stomach, consumption of food is reduced resulting in balanced intake of food and helps in reduction of body weight. As water has no calorie value it can be consumed a plenty, say full stomach.
- Prevents colon infection: Drinking early in the morning in empty stomach flushes the waste n the colon and cleans the colon on account of which the colon is prevented from contacting any infection.
- Prevents migraines: Since about 70 percent of the body is made of water it is essential to consume the required quantity of water to keep the body constantly hydrated. Keeping the body sufficiently hydrated prevents all types of headaches including migraine.
- Strengthens the immune system: Drinking regularly in empty stomach has the potential to increase the metabolism in the body by more than 20%. Because of this property it strengthens the immune system and prevents infections besides preventing gastrointestinal disorders.
- Protects the kidneys: When it is consumed in empty stomach, in the absence of other digestible food in the stomach, it can dilute the acids in the kidney and excrete the same through urine and prevent formation of kidney stones. Moreover it protects the bladder also from infections.
Consuming plain water itself in empty stomach produce the desired result. But consumption of warm water is found to be more beneficial.