Mosquitoes are a menace in many areas and despite keep windows and doors shut, these pests somehow find their way in. Although there are various mosquito repellents available in the market, most of them use harmful chemicals which would pollute the air you breathe. There are natural options to drive mosquitoes away. Especially for infants and kids, this mosquito repellent cream can keep mosquitoes away using natural ingredients.
Coconut oil can soothe the skin, it can reduce itchiness or redness and cure any pre-existing mosquito bites. You can also add a drop of lavender essential oil for a nice fragrance. Lemongrass or Citronella has a strong fragrance that is most important in keeping mosquitoes and other insects away. If you do not have access to fresh Citronella leaves, you can use the essential oil instead. I have used the fresh leaves since I have a big plant in my terrace garden. Eucalyptus oil is good to clear sinus and nasal passages and also calms the nerves. The beeswax is used as a binding ingredient to blend the ingredients together well.
This homemade cream also has antiseptic and astringent properties which is beneficial for skin health. The properties present in lemongrass and give you glowing skin. You can hence safely use this on the tender skin of kids and infants without damaging the skin cells.
The quantity mentioned in the below recipe would be sufficient for at least 2-3 weeks of regular use. You can make this in small batches at home. Read the detailed recipe here on how to make a mosquito repellent at home.
- 1 tbsp Eucalyptus oil
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp Beeswax
- 2 tbsp Lemongrass extract
- Use pure coconut oil, fresh lemongrass leaves, natural beeswax and eucalyptus oil for this homemade cream.
- In a bowl, take beeswax.
- Add coconut oil to the bowl.
- Add Eucalyptus oil. Keep this aside.
- Place chopped lemongrass on a grinding stone.
- Pour water. Grind well.
- Take the juice in a cup.
- Strain well and take the juice.
- Her is the strained juice.
- Mix all the liquids together.
- Place in an an oven and let the liquids boil well together.
- Take it out and transfer to a container while still hot.
- Done. Shake the container each time before use.