Celery, the fresh green crunchy vegetable has numerous benefits and is a favourite of many due to its low calories and flavourful taste. But this vegetable also has a huge number of benefits which make it a very healthy choice.
To reduce inflammation
Apigenin, a compound that is found in many plants is found in abundance in Celery. While this compund has various benefits such as preventing renal damage, and strengthening the nervous system, one of the key benefits is reducing inflammation. This compound is also a flavanoid and has been used in Chinese cuisine for a long time to treat gout.
Celery can be used in salads in the fresh form.
- Cut celery leaves and stalks in small pieces.
- Add parsley, tomatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil to it.
- You can get creative and add cottage cheese or any other ingredient that you like.
- Eat 15 minutes before lunch or for dinner.
To improve digestion
Celery leaves are great for the digestive system. Not only does it not add to your weight since they are really low on calories, but they also boost your metabolism and help in digestion. This could be due to the presence of anti-oxidants and tannins in celery which also help to prevent stomach ulcers. Those with ulcers and indigestion may consume celery on a regular basis to alleviate the symptoms.
Make a soup of celery by following the below steps:
- In a saucepan, saute some minced onion and a few cloves of garlic. (You could choose olive oil or butter to saute depending on your diet preferences)
- Once the raw smell leaves, add celery leaves and stalks. Saute for just a couple of minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add a little milk and allow to boil for a minute. (You could also add little fresh cream if you’re okay with it!)
- Allow to cool a little.
- Puree in a blender
You could either saute the celery leaves and the sticks or you could puree them in their raw form. Your taste – your choice! But the raw version is definitely more healthier.
To manage and reduce stress levels
What really irritated my dad during his visits to the doctor was when the doctor told him that his higher sugar levels were due to increase in stress levels. He knew she was right but couldn’t do anything about it. In spite of trying to be stress free, there was no change.
And then, there was celery to the rescue. I made celery his mid morning snack along with some walnuts and I saw good difference in his post prandial blood sugar levels. The essential oils in celery calm the nervous system and help to relieve stress.
To reduce blood pressure
Celery is rich in Vitamin C and pthalides which are basically organic chemical compounds. These compounds help to lower the blood pressure levels of the body. These compounds result in expansion of the blood vessels, enable better blood circulation and result in reduced blood pressure. There are many option specified in this post on consuming celery. You can choose anything that suits you.
To treat joint pains
Celery has long been used for the treatment of joint pains and arthirits. A raw juice of celery stalks, leaves and seeds can be made. You can add a little salt. Drink this juice everyday on an empty stomach for best results. While stalks and leaves are effective, celery seeds have been found to be the most beneficial.
- Soak two full teaspoons of celery seeds overnight in water.
- Drink this water along with the soaked seeds the next day morning.
For many, joint pain could also be due to the build up of uric acid. Celery also treats this conditiona nd is hence great for arthritis.
Source of dietary fibre
For those of you who are looking for a healthy breakfast option, celery is an excellent choice. It is high in dietary fibre yet low on calories. But you can’t just eat celery can you? So, here is a healthy green smoothie that you can drink every morning. All the ingredients of this juice are rich in anti-oxidants and will also be a great detox for your body.
- Take celery leaves and stalks, green apple, cabbage, parley and mint.
- Add some cumin seeds and blend.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To treat and prevent urinary infections
The juice of salary is very good to treat urinary tract infections. Celery helps to cleanse and also to remove the uric acid build up.
Excellent for vision
Celery is rich in vitamin C and helps to prevent macular degeneration of the eye. The rich anti-oxidants present in celery is also a contributing factor. Celery is also a great snack for kids since it is good for the vision.