What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disease in which the blood glucose level remain high for a long time. This metabolic disorder is life long and the glucose level remain high either due to insufficient insulin production in the body or due to inadequate response by the body to the insulin produced. Chronic hyperglycemia is the cause of diabetes mellitus.
How can you treat diabetes?
The first and the most important step to be taken to treat diabetes is consumption of healthy and balanced diet. Any diet for a diabetic person must include foods low in calorie, rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
Vegetables and diabetes
Vegetables fit well in this prescription as they do not cause sudden spike in blood glucose level. Eating non-starchy vegetable is beneficial as it contains fewer calories and has low glycemic index, besides very little carbohydrate. While eating whole vegetable is a preferred form of consumption, drinking vegetable juices is also an option for diabetics.
All the vegetables that are consumed can be juiced and consumed. However do keep in mind that the glycemic index of the juice is more than that of the whole vegetable. Whole vegetable contains the essential dietary fiber which is not available in the juice.
Many vegetables cannot be eaten raw either because of the taste or hardness. Hence juicing them in substitute for whole vegetable is a better way.
A person affected by diabetes has to be careful in maintaining the body weight as well as the blood sugar level. Vegetable juice plays a vital part in both by normalizing the blood sugar level and assisting the weight loss program.
Vegetable juices can be consumed at regular intervals so as to defer or reduce intake of solid foods to avoid consumption of excess carbohydrates.
Diabetics may also consume fruit juices as well but have to be judicious in selection of the fruit as fruits contain more sugar and can cause hyperglycemia.
While juicing diet is a better way of getting the nutrients in vegetables and fruits, one has to be cautious in consumption of certain types of fruit juices.
Types of suitable vegetable juices
However there is no bar on any type of vegetable juice.
Juices from Green Vegetables
Juices from cucumber, spinach and other leafy vegetables, celery, green apple, cabbage, broccoli and green bell pepper are some of them. You can consume all these juices as they are starch free and have very little or no carbohydrate. These juices are palatable and you can consume them without any other ingredient, in lieu of any other diet.
Chlorophyll rich juices
Juices extracted from wheatgrass, barley greens, spirulina and other dark green vegetables contain chlorophyll called “liquid sun shine” which acts as a natural healer and cleaner of internal and external chronic conditions. Diabetes is an internal chronic condition.
Mixed vegetable juices
To make drinking juices tastier, you can mix some of the vegetable juices together. Such juices not only provide combination of nutrients from all the vegetables mixed but also give a better taste so as to induce drinking it regularly.
Individual vegetable juices that are helpful to diabetics
- Fresh green beans: Juice made from fresh beans prevent pressure in the eyes and macular degeneration. Since diabetes causes early problems related to eyes, consumption of this juice prevents eye related disorders peculiar to diabetics.
- Broccoli juice: It contains high amount of vitamin – C, (even more than orange). It also contains beta carotene which enhances vision. It is anti-inflammatory with many nutrients that support detox. Hence it is an excellent juice for diabetics.
- Jamun fruit juice: Jamun fruit or black plum is very good for diabetics. Because of its low glycemic index, jamun juice is a substitute diet for diabetics. This fruit has enormous health benefits due to polyphenoic compounds present in it. It cures various digestive disorders and is used in treatment of cancer, heart diseases, asthma, arthritis and diabetics. The juice of the fruit converts starch into energy and keep blood sugar level under check.
- Juice from asparagus and bitter melon reduces blood sugar level and control the sugar level. Bitter melon juice is particularly helpful because it contains charantin, polypeptide, oleonolic acid and glycosides which help lowering blood sugar level.
- Juice from celery cleanses the digestive system from accumulation of uric acid.
- Red grape juice with anti-oxidant contents also lowers blood sugar level.
Always avoid juices that are sweet except for the above ones. You can consume juices that are sour or astringent after checking glycemic index and other nutrients present.