A very common digestive disorder is bloating and accumulation of gas. Improper diet, eating at incorrect times, excessively oily or spicy foods and too much carbohydrates can all cause bloating after a meal. Simple home remedies can help to release the gas and flatulence to help get rid of bloating.
In addition to adding a unique flavour to dishes, cumin seeds can help a lot in treating indigestion and associated bloating. Jeera water (water made by boiling cumin seeds in water) is often used as a health drink for its digestive properties. Cumin seeds also are very beneficial for overall health.
- Cumin seeds contain the key compound – cuminaldehyde which can prevent the growth of tumours and is hence useful in the treatment of cancer.
- They have substantial amounts of potassium and hence helpful to maintain blood pressure. It is also beneficial for the heart as it can maintain an electrolyte balance. This is essential for those with a heart condition.
- Siddha medicine has always considered Cumin seeds as one of the essential herbs in treating respiratory disorders including common cold and asthma.
Cumin seeds – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Cuminum cyminum
- English – Cumin seeds
- Hindi – Jeera
- Sanskrit – Jiraka
- Malayalam – Jeerakam
- Bengali – Jeera
- Tamil – Jeeragam
- Kannada – Jeerige
- Telugu – Jeelakari
Buttermilk is made by blending a small amount of mildly sour curd with three to four times water. The two have to be mixed well to make thin, clear buttermilk.
- It is rich in essential nutrients such as riboflavin, potassium and other vitamins.
- It soothes the stomach and cures digestion related issues.
- Buttermilk can cool the body and is an ideal drink for the summer.
It is appropriate for all age groups and can be consumed by anyone with any medical condition excluding lactose intolerance.
Asafoetida or hing is good for digestion and is very effective in reducing flatulence.
Below are the steps to make this simple herbal buttermilk drink to cure indigestion, bloating, gas and relieve ts symptoms.
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 150 ml Buttermilk
- To find relief from bloating and gas, you will need cumin seed powder, asafoetida and buttermilk.
- Take a glass of buttermilk. Do not use curd - use properly made buttermilk only. Add cumin seeds powder to the buttermilk.
- Now add asafoetida powder.
- Mix well. You can add salt for taste - but just a pinch and not more.
- Ready to drink.
- This herbal buttermilk can be consumed many ( 2-3) times a day.
- Do not consume any spicy or oily food until you find relief from bloating and gas.