If you’d want me to name one food that will help you lose weight not by giving it up, but by eating lots of it, then my answer would have to be “Broccoli”. This wonder vegetable which has found a special place for itself in my kitchen (and in my heart ;)) is great n so many ways and is packed with nutrients.
Once of the best things about the flowery vegetable though, is its ability to help shed pounds.
Before we get into the recipes part, let me tell you this. Try to use broccoli without boiling it in water as much as possible. This is because lot of nutrients are lost in the process. If you do have to boil it, drink the water in which you boiled the blanched broccoli. Microwave and stir frying could be better options to retain the nutrition.
How does broccoli help to lose weight?
Broccoli basically does not trigger weight loss. It is good for your metabolism and contains lot of essential nutrition. But the key thing is that broccoli is really low on the calorie content. You could see a lot of advice on how broccoli helps to lose weight and hoe you could go for a week just eating broccoli. We, by principle are against such extensive crash diet methods.
The ideal way would be to include the vegetable in your diet such that you do not eat too much of everything else. But at the same time, it is not wise to give up on all other foods. In moderation – always.
So if you usually consume 2 rotis and dal for dinner, you could instead have 1 roti with dal and half a bowl of broccoli soup. Substitute with broccoli here and there. This method will gradually help you lose weight.
- Blanch broccoli into small florets.
- Stir fry in olive oil for a couple of minutes. (It is okay of the raw smell is not gone)
- Mix these florets with lettuce, capsicum, tomatoes and olives.
- Season with pepper and salt as required.
- Blanch one medium sized broccoli.
- Mince one big onion well.
- Saute the minced onion in little olive oil till golden brown.
- Add the blanched florets and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add water, pinch of turmeric powder, salt, pepper and finely chopped parsley. Allow this to boil for a minute or two.
- Switch off and allow to cool down a bit.
- Puree in a blender.
Roasted / baked broccoli
- This is a super cool and easy recipe to make.
- Take one medium sized broccoli, blanch and trim.
- In a microwave tray or bowl, add a teaspoon of olive oil, salt, dried parsley and ground pepper.
- Add the broccoli florets to this and toss so that all the florets are coated with the spices and oil.
- Keep it in a preheated oven.
- Wait for half an hour and you will see the florets top turning brown.
Done! This will be a great low calorie snack.. super healthy and nutritious too!
If you think the broccoli is working, do not go overboard and eat too much of it. Broccoli is a great source of dietary fibre and contains lots of it. Hence too much consumption of broccoli could cause indigestion and heartburn for some.
I’ve heard that many do not like broccoli, but fortunately for me our entire family are broccoli lovers. I started giving pureed broccoli to my little one when she was just 11 months and now it is her favourite vegetable. Even if you’re not a great fan of its taste, I am sure that after knowing how it can help you lose weight, I am sure you would be more than willing to give it a shot!