Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or bladder infection is a very common issue where 6 -7 people out of 10 get affected by it. UTI happens when bacterial infection starts and grows uncontrollably inside the bladder. Women are more prone to UTI.
Symptoms of UTI can be
- Pain in bladder, groin, lower abdomen, pelvis or penis area
- Pain during urination
- Fatigue, fever and body pain
- Frequent urination, urine leakage, foul smelling urine or dark color urine
- Blood discharge along with urine
- Burning or stinging sensation
Once you feel any of the above symptoms, it is better to consult a doctor. Because, ignoring these symptoms can lead the infection to kidneys and it will become more difficult to treat and cure it.
Along with anti-biotic medication, you can follow our home remedies for better and quicker relief.
Drink a lot of water
When you have UTI, it is very important to drink a lot of water. You need to keep sipping water almost all the time. Drinking a lot of water can help you flush out the bacteria out of your system. When you have the urge to pee, you won’t find it irritating as you will want to pee very frequently.
You can either sip warm water or cold water. If you have fever because of UTI, it is better to drink warm water.
When you are in severe pain or have cramps in the lower abdomen area, heat compress will give you great relief.
- Heat a piece of cloth using hot water or a pan
- Once the cloth absorbs the heat, place the cloth on the lower abdomen
- Make sure it is not too hot to avoid burn
You can do this process many times a day. This will help the muscles relax and give you good relief from pain.
You need to flush out the bacteria and acidic urine out of your body quickly. So, you need to urinate frequently. You can consume lot of water as mentioned and also consume fruits juices that are not acidic. Please avoid consuming colas or drinks with soda, as it will increase the acidity of the urine and worsen the infection. When you feel like urinating, please do not hold it.
Parsley acts as a diuretic. It can help you get rid of the infection very quickly. When you consume parsley water, it helps you increase the amount of urine and flushes a lot of sodium along with it.
- Boil 1 or 2 cups of water
- Add 1 handful of fresh parsley leaves or dried leaves to the boiling water
- Let the leaves infuse in water for 10 minutes
- Simmer it down and let it cool a little
- Strain the water and consume it warm
Parsley water can be consumed cool if you don’t have temperature. You need boil the water too much if you are using dried parsley leaves.
Celery seeds also act as a diuretic and helps you flush out more bacteria every time you urinate. It can increase the amount and frequency of urine.
- Chew a handful of celery seeds 3 to 4 times a day
- If you don’t like to chew the seeds, you can boil it along with water, just like parsley water.
Apart from the irritation and burning sensation, there is inflammation internally happening which you might be visible to you. It is important to reduce the inflammation to find relief from pain and cramps. Ginger acts as an effective anti-inflammatory agent.
- You can chew on small ginger pieces 4 to 5 times a day
- You can make ginger tea by steeping ginger in boiling water.
- You can add honey to raw ginger or the tea, to give you taste and soothing effect
Though it is not scientifically proven, it is found that Cranberry juice can provide good relief from UTI and reduce the recurrence of UTI especially in Women. Cranberry juice removes the bacteria that clings the wall of the bladder. When a lot of water and drinking cranberry juice is consumed, the bacteria can be flushed out.
- You can make cranberry juice without sugar or soda from fresh cranberries
- Since it is difficult to find fresh cranberry, you can buy canned or carton juice
If it is canned, make sure that is not much sugar added to it.
When you have UTI, it is very important to avoid Chocolate, caffeine, carbonated drinks and citrus. These can increase the irritation and the infection.
You can also consume a lot of cucumber and melons, which will give your body the additional amount of fluids required.
To avoid recurrence,
- You need to keep your private parts very clean
- Change your underwear every day
- Avoid using public toilets until the infection is cured
- Women while menstruating, use sanitary pads instead of tampons
- Do not hold your urine once you get the urge
- Always use cotton underwear
If you don’t find any relief, please consult your doctor immediately.