Gingelly oil which is also known as sesame oil, is derived from sesame seeds. In ayurveda, gingelly oil is used as a base for all herbal oils. Gingelly oil works great for the scalp and hair.
Gingelly oil is an excellent source of vitamins E, K, magnesium, calcium, copper, zinc, iron vitamin B6, protein, phosphorous and fatty acids. It also contains antioxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. All these vitamins and minerals help in strengthening hair from its roots and gives deep nourishment.
Why is gingelly oil massage the best?
Gingelly oil is a coolant by nature but it does not cause common cold or flu. Gingelly oil does wonders when applied on the hair.
Let us see why we say it is the best for hair.
Encourages hair growth
There are a number of reasons due to which hair fall or hair damage occurs. Regular usage of shampoo, soaps, conditioners, hair colours, and hair straighteners are the main reason for hair fall. Hormonal imbalance and genetic makeup could be an underlying reason as well.
Gingelly oil is rich in fatty acids. When you massage your scalp with gingelly oil, the content of fatty acid stimulates hair growth and helps regain hair health. Gingelly oil has penetrating capabilities which easily enters deep into your scalp and encourages blood circulation on the scalp thereby promotes good hair growth. It removes many toxins that are stored on the scalp and treats damaged hair.
Gingelly oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which removes head lice.
- ½ cup gingelly oil
- ¼ cup of neem oil
- 2 teaspoon tea tree oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary oil
- 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Towel or shower cap
- Wash off hair with apple cider vinegar.
- Allow it to dry.
- Mix the above mentioned oils together.
- Apply it on your scalp and store the balance oil for next time use.
- Cover with towel or shower cap and leave overnight.
- Next morning, comb your hair to remove lice.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo.
Repeat this process twice or thrice a week to get rid of lice.
Gingelly oil to treat dandruff
The anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties in gingelly oil help clear dandruff from scalp and hair.
- Take a cup of pure gingelly oil.
- Pour it into a vessel.
- Heat the oil until it becomes warm.
- Apply the oil on your scalp and hair.
- Massage for 10 minutes.
- Cover with a towel.
- Leave it for an hour.
- Wash your hair with shikakai. (Shikakai is a herb that has been used for ages like a shampoo)
Repeat the process twice a week to get away from dandruff.
Gingelly oil for dry hair
Usually during winter, your hair gets dry and results in split ends. Regular usage of gingelly oil protects hair from dryness. Gingelly oil reaches pores and follicles like a natural moisturizer that stops dry scalp and dry hair.
- Shower your hair with regular shampoo.
- Take 2 to 3 teaspoons gingelly oil on hands.
- Apply it on your hair.
- Leave it on for a day or two and then wash off.
This works like a leave in conditioner, keeps your hair healthy and shiny.
If you desire to have dark black hair, follow this simple home remedy.
- 2 teaspoons of gingelly oil.
- 1 teaspoon of Olive oil or almond oil.
- Mix gingelly oil with olive or almond oil.
- Massage your hair daily with this oil.
This protects hair from premature graying due to its darkening qualities.
Protects like a natural sunscreen
Gingelly oil forms a shielding coat around the hair that protects hair from sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Mix gingelly oil with any deep conditioner. Apply on the hair and leave it overnight for better results.
Hair loss due to stress
Mental stress is one of the main reasons for hair loss. Gingelly oil massage on your scalp gives relief from stress. Gingelly oil has cooling properties which releases stress. It also protects from hair loss and hair damage.
Gingelly oil is known for providing rest and soothes your scalp. Gingelly oil cools the tissues and removes heat from the scalp. Gingelly oil enters deep into the roots and works from within the hair follicle to moisturize and prevent dryness.