Carrot is basically a root vegetable that belong to the Apeaceae or umbelliferrous family.
Carrots are good sources of antioxidants called carotenoids, vitamins A, C, K, B6, dietary fibre, protein, and potassium. All these nutrients and antioxidants provide a number of health benefits and fights against diseases.
As we’ve repeatedly heard, carrots offer many health benefits mainly for organs like eyes, teeth, and the digestive system. You will be surprised to know that carrots are beneficial for the well-being of the skin too.
Carrot contains abundant amount of vitamin A, an essential vitamin for our body. The antioxidants and vitamin A both protect against various skin problems and promotes overall skin health.
Benefits of carrot for skin care
To treat dry skin and for glowing skin
Eating carrots are helpful for keeping your skin vibrant and healthy. Carrots can also be used as a face mask to get glowing skin.
• 1 teaspoon carrot juice
• 1 teaspoon Honey
1. Mix carrot juice and honey well.
2. Apply it with your fingertips on the face and neck.
3. Leave it on for 15 minutes.
4. Wash it off with plain water. Water can either be cold or warm but not hot.
This face mask can be applied thrice a week.
To treat skin infection and inflammation
Carrots are the best remedy to heal wounds due to their high beta-carotene content. Any type of skin infection, wound and cut can be cured by carrots or by using carrot juice. Carrots increase the ability of our body cells to heal faster and to fight against infections and inflammations.
Carrots contain a natural pigment called melanin. This melanin makes your skin orange in colour especially your hands and feet. If you consume raw carrots or drink carrot juice on a regular basis, it creates a natural skin protecting layer which will protect the skin from sun burn, sun damage and skin disorders.
Treats acne and pimples
The antioxidants present in carrot can cure pimples, acne, rashes and other skin problems. You can apply a face mask by following the steps outlined below.
• 2 teaspoons carrot juice.
• 1 teaspoon honey.
• Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
1. Mix carrot juice with a teaspoon of honey.
2. Add cinnamon powder.
3. Mix well.
4. Evenly apply this face pack on your face and neck.
5. Leave it for 20 minutes.
6. Wash off with plain water and besan (gram flour)
This can be followed twice or thrice a week.
Vitamins A and C present in carrots aid collagen production in our body. Collagen is a type of protein that is highly important for skin elasticity. It protects the skin from wrinkles and controls the process of aging.
• 2 teaspoons carrot juice
• Banana pulp
• Egg white
• Few drops of lime juice
1. Add all the ingredients to an empty bowl.
2. Mix well into a smooth paste.
3. Apply this face pack in a circular motion.
4. Wash with water after 20 minutes.
5. Repeat the process twice a week.
To treat tanned skin and for exfoliation
• Carrot paste (Made by blending 1 raw carrot)
• 1 teaspoon yogurt
• 1 teaspoon besan
• 3 pinch of turmeric powder
1. Take carrot paste in a bowl.
2. Add yogurt, besan and turmeric powder.
3. Mix well.
4. Apply this face pack on the face, neck and hands.
5. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Wash off with plain water.
This pack will remove the dead skin cells from the skin’s outermost surface.
For clearer skin and to remove blemishes
Papaya and carrots can do wonders for your skin.
• Carrot paste (Made by blending ½ raw carrot)
• Papaya paste (Made by blending 4-5 small papaya cubes)
1. Mix carrot and papaya paste well.
2. Add milk to this paste and mix thoroughly.
3. Apply this on your face and neck.
4. Leave it for 20 minutes.
5. Wash your face with lukewarm water.
Repeat the process thrice a week.
Consuming raw carrots or drinking carrot juice is effective in treating skin blemishes and treat scars. You can drink 150 – 200 ml of carrot juice daily morning on an empty stomach.
Calming facial spray
If you are exposed to sun light or dust and feel uncomfortable, a simple homemade remedy can calm your skin. This remedy can also work for sun burn.
• Fresh carrot juice
• Rose water
1. Mix carrot juice with 2 parts of rose water.
2. Stir well.
3. Store this liquid in a cleaned spray bottle.
4. Use this spray on your face and body.
This reduces heat, sun tan and sun burn.
As a skin moisturizer
• 2 teaspoons grated carrot
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon milk cream
• Few drops of olive oil
1. Grind the grated carrots into a smooth paste.
2. Keep this in a small bowl.
3. Add honey, milk cream and olive oil.
4. Blend well with a spoon.
5. Wash your face and apply this carrot mask.
6. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Wash with cold water.