Almonds have been used for various reasons in a variety of dishes and cuisines for a long time now. One of their uses is the benefits they offer in hair care.
Almonds are an excellent source of dietary fibre and protein. In addition, they also consist of good amounts of magnesium, calcium and iron. This iron, protein and calcium combination is what makes almonds great for hair growth. It is a one stop solution for all your hair problems!
For hair growth
Almonds can help reduce hair fall to a great extent and also stimulate hair growth. Do the following to experience results in a couple of weeks.
- Soak 5-6 almonds in half a cup of drinking water overnight.
- The next morning, peel the skin of the almonds and eat the peeled almonds. Chew and eat them slowly instead of just gobbling them up.
- Drink the water in which the almonds were soaked.
- Do the above on an empty stomach.
- Eat or drink anything else after 15 – 20 minutes only.
To stop thinning and breakage of hair
Hair thinning and breakage can be a problem that affects many. Key periods when this happens are after puberty, during and before periods, post delivery and during menopause. This clearly indicates how a key reason could be hormonal changes. Having said that, almonds can be used to significantly reduce thinning and breakage of hair in people of all ages.
In addition to the nutrition specified above, almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin E. Almonds can be eaten as a mid-day snack or can be eaten after soaking as per the method explained above. Another way is to extract the milk of almonds and consume that frequently.
- Soak two handfuls of almonds in drinking water.
- Leave them overnight.
- The next morning, without peeling the skin blend them well till smooth.
- Add this milk to your daily breakfast or just drink it separately.
To prevent dandruff
Regular application of almond oil on your scalp gives good results to fight dandruff. You can make your own almond oil instead of buying it from the stores. If possible, and if it fits your pocket get almonds from an organic store.
- Almonds – 200 gms
- Hibiscus flower petals – 10 to 15
- Olive oil or coconut oil – 0.5 litre
Note: You could also add a few neem leaves if it suits you.
- Soak almonds overnight in water.
- After about 12 – 14 hours, grind them in a grinding stone or in a mixer. Ensure the milk of the almonds is not wasted.
- Tear the hibiscus flower petals with your hands roughly.
- In a deep pan, pour olive oil or coconut oil and allow it to get hot.
- Now add the ground almond paste and hibiscus to the oil and leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Switch off the stove.
- Let the almonds and the hibiscus soak in the oil for a couple of days.
- Transfer it to a clean container after two days and use.
You can use this oil as a leave on oil or massage the oil into your scalp and wash it off with a good shampoo thrice a week.
To condition frizzy hair
Almond oil is non- sticky and acts as a great conditioner for frizzy hair. Make your own almond oil using the method explained.
While conditioning frizzy hair, they also slowly help to get rid of split ends. In other words, it gives your hair better quality and shine. Take some oil in your palm and spread it evenly in your hair. Massage gently into your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes. Follow with your regular shampoo wash.
Almond hair cream is also available in various stores. Choose a brand that contains the least chemical substances and use it if you are not comfortable with applying oil.
In addition to the above benefits, almond oil is also foumd effective in stopping male pattern baldness when used in the early stages of hair fall.
Make sure you include an almond or two in your everyday diet for healthy hair!