Adhatoda leaves or malabar nut is a popular herb when it comes to natural medicine in India. It has been used since ancient times to treat many ailments that include – cough, cold, fever, tuberculosis, bronchitis, sore throat, jaundice and many more. This herb is easily available and grown in plenty. Adhatoda leaves are available in natural medicine shops in the form of powder and dried leaves which can be powdered. This leafy green comes in very handy when you are looking for treating your child for phlegm.
Phlegm is the mucus secreted by mucus membranes that gets accumulated in the respiratory passages that causes difficulty in breathing. It happens commonly in children when they are affected by flu or cold. There are many over the counter medications available to reduce phlegm in children, but natural medicine is always preferred by many parents. Adhatoda leaves reduces phlegm effectively in children and adults too.
This DIY explains how to use adhatoda leaves or malabar nut to reduce phlegm in children. It is prepared with the following ingredients – adhatoda leaves, honey and black pepper. Let us look into the benefits of each ingredient.
Benefits of Adhatoda leaves: This herb is used to treat common cold, cough, core throat and asthma. It is very effective in treat respiratory illness. Adhatoda leaves are rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. the anti-inflammatory property in it can be used to treat pain in joints and internal inflammation. Adhatoda leaves are used to stop bleeding, both external and internal.
Benefits of Honey: Honey is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial ingredient that is easily available. When honey is consumed on a regular basis, it helps to boost immune system and treats cold effectively. The soothing nature of honey helps to reduce itchiness and irritation in throat.
Benefits of Black pepper powder: Black pepper has many health benefits like weight loss, improving appetite and provide relief in respiratory illness. It helps to reduce congestion and treats cold/cough and common cold very effectively.
- 30 to 40 Adhatoda leaves (Malabar nut)
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- To prepare this extract, you need fresh malabar nut or adhatoda leaves, honey and black pepper powder.
- First, clean leaves and chop them into small pieces.
- We need to steam the leaves. So, first fill enough water in a vessel that can be used for steaming.
- Now, place the leaves in a smaller size vessel and keep it in the water.
- Now cover the bigger vessel with a lid. Switch on the flame and let it steam for 15 to 20 minutes in medium flame.
- This is how steamed leaves should look. Can be steamed for more time if required.
- Now, place the leaves in a crusher or a mortar.
- Add little water and crush the leaves well.
- Squeeze the leaves using a strainer or white cotton cloth to extract the juice from it.
- Add honey to the extract.
- Add black pepper powder to the extract.
- Mix well. You can add more honey if required.
- Now the extract is ready!