This soup made with 5 herbs is my family’s favourite. It tastes great and makes you feel so refreshed. Here is the recipe for this simple herb soup to build immunity.
Ingredients that build immunity:
Each of the ingredients used in this soup contribute towards building immunity. This soup is suitable for both kids and adults. Due to the presence of simple herbs, this soup can even be given to toddlers safely (in small amounts).
Lemon balm acts as a supportive ingredient in this soup. It helps to boost immunity, improve digestive health and also balance the working of the nervous system.
- 4-5 leaves Indian Borage Karpooravalli in Tamil
- 13-15 leaves Holy Basil Known as Tulsi
- 7-8 leaves Sweet Basil Thiruneetrupachilai in Tamil
- 10 leaves Mint Pudina in Tamil
- 6-8 leaves Lemon Balm
- 1 pod Star anise
- 2 teaspoons Pepper powder
- Salt As needed
- 500 ml Water
- Use fresh herbs for this soup. In addition to these 5 herbs, you can use spices as per your preference. I've used star anise, pepper powder and salt for this recipe.
- Wash and clean leaves. Chop the leaves and place in a blender.
- Pour in some water and blend. It can be coarse.
- Take water in a vessel and switch on the stove.
- Pour in the blended ingredients and allow to boil.
- While the ingredients are boiling, add all the spices. I have added salt, pepper powder and star anise. Some times, I also add turmeric powder.
- Allow all ingredients to boil together well for about 10 minutes.
- Switch off and allow it to become warm.
Tulsi (Holy Basil)
- Tulsi or holy Basil is an ‘all rounder’ herb that has amazing benefits for overall health.
- It can improve immunity, supply Vitamin K and prevent/cure a variety of respiratory disorders. It helps to clear nasal congestion, common cold and flu and bring out phlegm in the chest.
- It can relieve fever and make the body feel energized.
- Holy Basil also has properties that can reduce diabetes levels.
- A tea or soup made using tulsi is known to calm the nerves and relieve stress.
Indian borage which is also known as Mexican mint has these health benefits:
It can cure respiratory problems such as common cold, wet cough and flu.
It is very effective in curing indigestion and can reduce symptoms of nausea.
This plant has excellent amount of anti-oxidants due to which it build immunity. For this reason, Indian borage is also known to treat certain types of cancer.
Mint leaves are very tasty. We commonly use them in salads, juices and in everyday cooking.
The leaves of mint have anti-inflammatory properties that are good for overall health. Mint tea can cure stomach related disorders and elevate mood. They are also rich in anti-oxidants and are good to fight various diseases. They impart a very nice flavour to this soup and help bring all flavours together.
This is one of my favorites. A sweet rich flavor and a dose of anti-oxidants. A great option for kids and is lovely to taste too.